Xterra won't rev past 3,000 rpm in 5th gear...Help!

None of the above would explain why the engine would do 4000+ RPM but only 3000 RPM in 5 th gear.
NOT the timing belt!
Not the clutch, if it were you wouldn’t have any trouble getting past 4000 RPM

Weeeell that’s not exactly true… The way I am seeing this…and I may be incorrect… Is that the engine is not making its normal level of power. This is why it cannot “pull” the tallest gear… If it was making the normal amount of HP and torque it should be able to pull thru the top gear on toward Redline.

Do you guys agree with me, or am I thinking about this in a Bass ackward way? I am thinking he may have a miss…or one cylinder isn’t running all the time…an injector issue or something like that…something that is Hamstring-ing the engine in some way. Who agrees with this and if so …what do you think it may be here…this one is a bit odd

Blackbird

I agree…the engine is being hampered in some way. Nothing to do with the transmission or clutch.

Timing belt, well, maybe, if it were off one tooth would leave the engine a bit weak, but I’m not sure about that. I would think it would just be weak overall, not only in 5th.

I’m thinking the above guesses about restricted exhaust or intake are most likely. Once those are ruled out, then we can go on. They’re the most simple to test, anyway.

Timing belt, well, maybe, if it were off one tooth would leave the engine a bit weak, but I’m not sure about that. I would think it would just be weak overall, not only in 5th.

If the belt was off a tooth the symptoms would be present no matter what gear you’re in.

I’m still thinking fuel starvation…but that’s more dependent on engine rpms. This has to be diagnosed with a mechanic…NOT over the internet.

…and I think you should ignore anything you see by “Scotty Kilmer”…that’s just my opinion, but I’ve a feeling there are a few here who would second it.

Honda, I agree with you. It sounds like something is hamstringing this engine.

Mike, Chaissos, I understand what you’re saying, but suggest that the inability of the engine to reach its potential RPMs in 5th could be due to its reduced power state…which could easily be due to a slipped TB.

In these threads we often throw out differing suggestions and even differing opinions. It’s important for the OP to understand that this is normal when people are attempting to help without actually having access to the vehicle. Had we that access, we’d be doing quick and simple checks that would probably direct us to more sophisticated diagnostics to nail down the cause. But we don;t have that access, so we posit ideas (often guesses) based on what we do have.

I’m going to stick with the vacuum gage idea as a starting point. Perhaps I’m being overly optimistic, but I think that between the instructions that come with the gage and a Haynes manual most people could do a basic vacuum test. But I’d also be he first to support the other ideas as valid places to start too.

Mike, Chaissos, I understand what you’re saying, but suggest that the inability of the engine to reach its potential RPMs in 5th could be due to its reduced power state…which could easily be due to a slipped TB.

Wouldn’t that happen in ALL gears?? Not just 5th.

It might not be as symptomatic in lower gears. Much as a cyclist with tired legs can turn lower gears better than the big ring.

It’s only a guess anyway.

Vacuum gauge.
Compression test.
Clogged fuel filter?

Relace Spark plugs… pistons that they are connected to.
Your welcome