Xc70 vanishing oil

If you have an oil LEVEL light it might indicate that you are one quart low, if on the other hand, the light that comes on is red and has a picture of Alladin’s Lamp, you have lost oil pressure and have only a few seconds to shut the engine prior to severe damage. Check your owner’s manual to see. If the “dealer” who told you that the light means one quart low is one of the service advisors, he likely couldn’t find his own anus with a flashlight.

Thanks, eddo. The inference to be drawn from the addition of an additional 2 qts. is precisely what you stated; one qt. did not fill it up. However, the dealer told me specifically that the oil light was set to register 1 qt. low, so I was following their advice. Between the time I added the 1 qt. and then added the next 2 qts. Volvo had determined that the car was operating as designed, closed the oil consumption test and said they were closing the case and would take no further action. This is the second time I have had to add oil while on the road. The first time, which started this whole fiasco, occurred in early 2016. The oil light went went on; I added 1 qt.; checked the dip stick; found it still low and added a second qt.The dealer then proceeded to tell me I had over filled… The situation as it stands now is that, although the dealer took my word for the addition of 1 qt, (with no proof, I might add), they refuse to accept verifiable proof of the need for the additional 2 qts. Since Volvo America’s procedures mandate technical input from then dealer as to then need for a repair and the dealer is unwilling to do that, I am stuck in the middle of this mess. I have considered filing suit against the two of them but am not quite that is the right course yet.

see old_mopar_guy’s input:

1 Like

But that is precisely what he said

The service advisors frequently know less about cars than the average layman. The true facts will be found in the manual. They are there to sell you products and services.

Arg! I did not notice the age of the thread, gave several “thumbs up” to 9 year old comments.