Wrong tire pressure

Respectfully Tardis, this is a risky assumption to make. It assumes that the gage used to measure the pressure is accurate. And assumes that the manufacturer has built in an “error budget” to compensate for production variables. And that the tire is new and without anomolies.

2 psi error would be admirable for most gages. 2 psi error for a pencil gage would be, well, unusually accurate.

They probably figure that no one will check the pressure, and when you come back in 3 months, the tires might be below the recommended pressure and they’ll need to add more in.

I re-checked it the next morning and it still was 36. CapriRacer had it right, they don’t
want to take the time and effort to reset the inflator.

I don’t want the serviceman to assume that I won’t check the inflation or that the mfr’s
recommendation is wrong…I want him to inflate per the doorjamb placard.

The “Maximum Cold Inflation Pressure” accounts for the fact that the tire will heat up and the pressure will go higher.

That doesn’t for when outside air temperature rise. It’s not unusual to see temps swing 40 degrees in just a couple of days.

Not a digital clock!

Then, tell him/her.

I wish Robert Gift would post and let us know he’s read this thread. I’m a lot concerned about his practice of running 2 psi below the maximum pressure stated on the sidewall. I can’t afford to lose any friends.

Robert?

service stations! what are they?
the tire pressure on the vehicle placard is from the vehicle manufacturer. it is supposed to give you a comfortable ride, average fuel economy, enough PSI to carry the average load and fairly decent mileage from the tires. i have always increased that air pressure 2 to 4 lbs without going over the max PSI for the tire.
air pressure should be checked cold. a decrease in external air temperature will decrease the pressure in the tire. an increase in the external temperature will not increase the air pressure as much as the decrease per 10 degrees. do not beleive? try it with an air filled baloon. air it up in a warm house. take it outside to cooler air [at least 10 degrees] leave it there for a while. you will see that it shrinks. then bring it back inside at the same internal temperature. it will not go back to its original size
hope this helps

I don’t understand why this thread suddenly appeared on my computer on 3/15/11,since it started on the 8th.

I am surprised you have a service station where you live. Where I live, an old service station did re-open as a service station {Gas attendant and quick repairs}but in this day and age it is a unuaual.Where do you live?

Tires have no idea what vehicle they are put on. Tire pressure should be adhered to by the pressure placard on the door jam or inside the trunk.

spammer hit the board. When they delete the posts, the new date stamp shows, regardless if any other posts where after the spammer’s post