World's most honest mechanic

I had the glass fall out of the right hand and break when it hit the ground. I was able to get a replacement glass at the Oldsmobile dealer. As I remember, the price was over $20. However, when I peeled off the backing paper, the adhesive was so dried out it wouldn’t stick. I took the Oldsmobile to the Chrysler body shop and asked them if they could fix it. The body shop manager said that they had a glass shop coming that day who they contracted to replace windshields and I could leave the car. He also asked what I had paid for the glass. When I went back to get the car, the mirror glass was replaced and there was no charge. The body shop manager said, “GM has ripped you off enough already. If you have a similar problem, come to us. We can have a mirror glass cut for that much cheaper”.

@asecular–I really expected to pay for the service. Someone took the time to fix it. I had another free service at the Oldsmobile body shop. After 22 years, the left door was sagging and hard to shut. The hinge was really worn. I took the car to an independent body shop and was told that they would fix it if I supplied a hinge. However, they thought the hinge would be hard to find as the dealer probably wouldn’t have one and many wrecking yards had long since crushed cars of that age. At any rate, I started with the dealer. When I drove into the service area the service writer said it was a body shop issue in getting the part and brought out the manager of the body shop. The woman who managed the body shop told me that she didn’t think parts were available for a car as old as mine. I was trying to be humorous and said, “I am really disappointed. When I bought the car at this agency, I was told that service and parts would always be available”. She then responded, “Well, we didn’t expect you to drive the car 22 years and 225,000 miles. Let me see what I can do”.
She went back into the body shop and came out with one of the technicians, a great big fellow named Bruce. He was carrying a big box end wrench, a big drift pin and a sledge hammer. He loosened the bolts holding the door, put the pin under the hinge and pounded the pin with the hammer. He then tightened up the bolts, tested the door and it worked perfectly. I was delighted and asked, “What do I owe you?” He said, “There is no charge. We guarantee these babies for 25 years or 250,000 miles”.