Witch pistons are better

About those pumps @Honda_Blackbird, I always felt that they were an industry gimmick to fool the fools at the EPA. Just look at what they are doing. First collect tail pipe emissions without the pump and get a %tage of the pollutants. Then add an air pump to force in a high volume of clean air into the exhaust and again measure the %tage of pollutants out the tail pipe and consider the drop an improvement.

3 Likes

How bout them apples for crooked behavior @Rod_Knox? Dilute your tailpipe emissions with fresh air. See she’s running nice n clean now ! Oh the hilarity!

Oh wait…no it gets better… the Air pump robbed power and forced all engines to burn more fuel in the bargain. Great man… great. No pollution problem there right? LOL

Air injection pumps are common today, they have been electric for the last 20 years. Toyota and Lexus SUVs have recalls on the pumps and switching valves.

At local levels it is economical to measure tail pipe pollutants by percentages for emissions testing. However the EPA tests collect the total volume of the exhaust and measure the pollutants by weight. The air injection systems provide additional oxygen to the catalyst during engine warm up.

1 Like

Well I’m glad all that hardware does, in fact, accomplish something worthwhile. I can’t say that about a great many things on cars these days.

I recall an impulse AIR system on GM vehicles that was a real “Rube Goldberg” monstrosity that was notorious for corroding and disintegrating. The late 70s and early 80s really was a terrible period for automobiles.

1 Like