Will there be enough electricity available to transition to electric vehicles (EVs)?

About 25-years ago, we bought a house and after we had the property surveyed, we discovered that the neighbor behind us had their fence 3-feet on our land. We brought the survey over to show them and they countered with their survey, taken at the time they bought the house and it did not show the fence as it was installed after their survey. So their way of thinking was that there was no infringement… And if we had a problem, we could sue them…

We went down to the planning office and the inspector pulled the neighbor’s file and lo 'n behold, there was no permit for the fence. He said this is an easy fix, he will give them 30-days to remove the fence or the city will and they will be billed.

The neighbors contacted the contractor who installed the fence and the contractor corrected it and installed it back on the neighbor’s property and the contractor even went and got a legal permit to install the “new” fence…

We never did have a cordial relationship with these neighbors; but then again, neither did any of the other neighbors…

2 Likes

A lot of houses built in the 50’s and earlier had the washer and dryer in the garage. If it was an electric dryer, then there was a 220v outlet installed for it.

If the plug on the 240v charger matches the outlet, then you do not need any type of permit or inspection to plug a charger into that outlet. But then you won’t have a dryer.

You will have a dryer if you switch from dryer to charger when needed. I bought charging cables for my Tesla that have 220V and 110V dongles and an in line charger. I plug the 20’ cord with integrated charger into the dongle and then into house power and charge the car.

1 Like

What has happened over the years is that we have traded one source of energy for electrical energy. The old house my parents bought in 1948 ran on one 20 ampere fuse. A coal furnace provided the heat, and the kitchen stove and water heater were gas. There was a pressure pump that pumped the water from the well, a sump pump in the basement, an electric refrigerator and a blower motor on the furnace. We rarely had the fuse blow. We didn’t have a clothes dryer, a dishwasher, or air conditioning. My dad did have the service upgraded to 240 volt 60 ampere which was a standard in those days. Now the standard is 250.amperes. In 1962, when I was a graduate student, I rented a room in a house that was again powered by one 20 ampere fuse. The furnace when I moved in was coal and the water heater was gas. The next year, the landlord replaced the gravity coal furnace with a forced air gas furnace. Occasionally, the fuse would blow when the refrigerator and furnace blower would attempt to start at the same time. I solved the problem by replacing the 20 ampere fuse with a slow blow 20 ampere fuse.
We have added equipment that has demanded energy. Air conditioning is the big one. There are also clothes dryers, dishwashers and self defrosting refrigerators.
However, we have also substituted electrical energy for other forms of energy. We don’t heat our homes with coal. I have a heat pump that supplies the heat for my house until the temperature drops below 40 degree and then the gas furnace takes over. The university from which I retired switched from heating with coal and gas to geothermal energy.
What is happening with the switch from ICE powered vehicles to EVs is substituting one source of energy for another. An ICE is about 30% efficient in converting the energy stored in fuel to mechanical energy. The remaining 70% is heat. An electric motor is about 98% efficient in converting the electrical power to mechanical energy.
When more homes and businesses were air conditioned, the power companies had to increase the capacity of its infrastructure. There were problems and many areas had brown outs or rolling blackouts. I hope the power companies are looking to the future as more EVs replace ICE vehicles.

2 Likes

OK, we are back to the catch 22 here. We want more electric power, both now and for the future, but we don’t want power plants or high voltage transmission lines near our homes and neighborhoods.

The direct current super grid is the most needed item.

A little history here, back at the turn of the 20th century, there was a war being waged between GE (Edison) and Westinghouse (Tesla). Edison wanted to supply electricity in the form of direct current where Westinghouse offered an alternating current alternative.

Westinghouse won out because at the time, they were only powering local grids. Today we call these distribution grids. AC used a higher voltage that used smaller power lines and used transformers to reduce the high voltage down to meet the customers needs. It was, and is still, many times more efficient for that purpose.

However, neither Edison nor Westinghouse have a vision for a national grid with high power transmission lines. But as this grid evolved, it used AC because that was now engrained into the minds of electrical engineers as the superior alternative. But for the transmission grid, aka the long haul grid, it had issues stemming from phase shift of the AC signal.

Phase shift is well understood in the HF community and high frequency transmission lines used in communications equipment (radio, TV, etc) are designed to accommodate phase shift as the wavelengths used in their equipment has very short wavelengths.

60 Hz AC has a wavelength of about 3100 miles, or about the distance from Portland, ME to San Diego, CA. There is about a one degree of phase shift for 8.6 miles. A few degrees are not significant so a grid that covers most eastern states doesn’t have a significant phase shift problems. Also any grid that has only one power station is not a affected by phase shift. The problem occurs when you try to connect two separate grids together so they back-up each other. The phase shift becomes significant and the result is a lot of power loss where signals intersect out of phase.

As the distances grow and the grid becomes more complex, it becomes far more difficult to keep them in sync with each other. Significant losses occur. Now add multiple new sources to the grid in the form of wind and solar farms, especially when these are often located hundreds of miles from the local distribution grid that intends to use that power.

Direct current does not have a phase shift problem when connecting diverse grids together. There are some conversion losses at each end as the AC is rectified to DC and then inverted back to AC at the other end, but these losses are far less than the losses due to phase shifts. I have seen estimates of between 20 to 50% losses on the AC transmission grids depending on who is doing the calculations. The conversion losses for the DC grid are on the order of 5% or so.

The resistive losses for DC and AC are the same, just old fashioned Ohms Law.

But the AC lines were established back when people didn’t object to public projects, or at least their voices weren’t heard. Now, every attempt to build a 600kVD transmission line is met with a lot of resistance from people who live along the routes. Getting permits for each new line is now expected to take 8 years or more, if successful. And because of their lengths, it takes a lot of permits for each line and failure to obtain even one permit dooms the whole project.

1 Like

When I was a kid, my favorite Aunt lived on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, in a neighborhood that was still served by DC power, and I know that this was the case at least up to the early '60s.

While this seems unbelieveable now, I remember it well because when buying presents for her, we had to be sure that a radio, or a toaster, or an electric heater, or other items, were made for DC electricity. Luckily, back in those days, Macy’s main store in Manhattan had a small department exclusively dedicated to DC items.

3 Likes

There is no “free” energy. Every rotation of a windmill causes fatigue on the blades that shorten their life. That is part of the reason you see stationary windmills in a field of operational windmills. Add to that the wear on rotating assemblies…They are VERY expensive to maintain They don’t run them if they don’t have immediate need. Solar isn’t free either due to wear and tear on invertors…but they are cheaper to maintain that windmills.

That is a dangerous install. The sockets used must be changed to industrial grade, at least, or they will melt. The wiring might also be bumped a gauge from typical 10 gauge for a 30 amp dryer circuit to at least 8 ga (40 amp) all because the car draws at the circuit’s limit for FAR longer than a dryer.

Same for my area but… I can apply for a permit and the inspector will make sure I did the work (or had it done) to code. They permit department will even advise you on what they want to see if you ask. I permitted two exterior hurricane-rated doors (main entrance with sidelights), the install of a 6 foot and a 18 ft hurricane-rated sliding glass doors and an internal closet with electrical relocation. All passed very easily.

I just applied for a permit to add two 40 amp 220V circuits for a tankless water heater I just bought. I need to apply for a water heater permit , too. $80 each! But my insurance company loves me!

Here is Virginia, a difference of terms and agreements cause a lot of problems… Virginia’s contractor license requirements are generally straightforward. Anyone performing or managing a project – or removing, repairing, or improving a project valued in excess of $1,000 – requires a license.

So, what’s the problem, a lot of “Scofflaw Contractors” break a job down into projects that come to less than $1,000 each… They use the excuse that the $1,000 project makes it more financially feasible for the customer…

However, electrical work in Virginia is tightly controlled. The Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR), through the Virginia Board for Contractors, issues electrical licenses. And even apprentice electricians must register with the Virginia Department of Labor.

To get licensed, the applicant must provide proof of a lot of and a combination of: experience, education, and training, and then still pass an exam.

My son is a licensed Master Electrician and in some of the 20-plus states he’s licensed to practiced in required Technical training and over 10,000 hours of working experience (about 5-years’ experience…) and passing a written exam.

So, back to the problem of difference of terms and understandings… Some of these non-licensed contractors use the “under $1,000 rule” to do unlicensed electrical work…

And the consequences of bad work have already been covered…

And on top of that, some of the rural counties do not have zoning or planning departments and the contractors and builders get away with murder selling the customer that they do not have to worry about all those “pesky” zoning rules…

And it might be true, but every state has zoning laws that fill in the blanks where the counties fall short…

The biggest nuke product? Lies! Every time I read about the “greenness” of nuclear power, its “low-carbon footprint,” I remember that the biggest product of the nuclear power/weapons complex (always entwined…) are not simply the wastes we ignore, but the lies about the wastes we continue to perpetuate.

Next time you are told that the “new generation” of nuclear reactors will “solve” these problems, please remember the propaganda phrase from our youth: “Too cheap to meter.”

Believe nothing. Question everything. Be sure your representatives–state and federal-- are doing the same. Encourage their development of a backbone.

In my state of Maine, the Maine Yankee plant, decommissioned in 1996, has 64 “dry cask canisters” holding spent nuclear fuel rods and other radioactive materials. From Bangor Daily News Mar 16, 2011: “…ratepayers pick up the estimated $6 - $8 mil annl tab to store & monitor radioactive fuel…” from the Wiscasset plant. Since 1996, an average of $7 mil x 25 yrs = $175 mil. It produced NO electricity in those 25 years, just cost money.

Well, since there is no other options for storing this poison, and needs to be kept secure for the next 25,000 years, that is $175,000,000,000, not counting for inflation. $175 Bil, just in storage costs. One plant, that produced electricity from 72-96, a short 24 years.

If the true costs of nuclear energy were factored in to what a utility charged for that electricity, it would not be “too cheap to meter,” but too expensive to produce.

Factor in true costs of insurance policies a utility company SHOULD be required to carry (and does not, BTW) to recompense victims after major accident, and not policies artificially capped by federal legislation–you would not split one atom…

Factor in true costs of security services at storage sites for the waste products for thousands of years…

Factor in the design, land, building, and maintenance of a storage facility–none yet exists–and true costs would bankrupt several nations…. Imagine storing your own garbage output in the kitchen for the next number of decades…

2 Likes

Don’t forget three mile island.

They’re supposed to have that forever stored in Yucca Mountain. I wonder what other countries are doing with their nuclear waste. Russia doesn’t seem to be as concerned about where they put it.

I wonder about all those California movie and TV stars that bought one square foot of land around Yucca mountain so they could block it. They vote absentee in Nevada, you recon they also vote in California too? That would be a violation of voting laws that should be looked into. Put a few of them Jane Fondas where they belong, in jail.

2 Likes

The new generation power plants ARE better. Thorium reactors were looked at decades ago. The reason they weren’t used was because you can’t make nuclear weapons from the thorium reactor material. The problem is not the science. The problem is the large corporations building these reactors. Every single reactor in the US is custom designed and built. Countries like France and Germany have only a handful of designs and multiple reactors built with each design. This makes it a lot cheaper to build and CONSIDERABLY SAFER.

As far as nuclear fusion. There have been great strides toward this in the past 5 years. However…they’ve been saying we’re only 10 years away from Fusion for the past 50+ years. Probably won’t see it in my lifetime. Maybe my grandkids will.

Our best bet right now is renewables. Solar and wind. We’ve barely scratched the surface on either.

3 Likes

Apparently the use of light water reactor nuclear power plants has contributed to a lot of nuclear waste, of I understand the article correctly. They produce a lot of spent uranium waste. Since new sources of uranium have made new uranium fairly cheap, this is the cheaper type of reactor, at least in the short term.

Fast breeder reactors consume a lot more of the fuel and don’t generate so much waste.

Many of the advances in Nuclear Fusion technology took place at this faciltity, about 14 miles from my home:

Unfortunately fission reactors for power are a lot more expensive than they have to be because of the law suits designed to price the reactors out of existence.

I read recently that a fusion reactor at LLNL created more power than it consumed, and did it twice. The reaction was over a very short time period and fusion for power is still probably at least a couple decades away. Still, it is a promising course of radioactive-free power.

I just installed a 220 volt circuit for my daughter to accommodate a level 2 charger. I didn’t need a permit.

1 Like

As they say, “OK, if you say so…” L :smile: L . . .

1 Like

A very nice explanation. I learned a bit or 2.
Thanks Keith

Maybe in some cases…but not all. Seabrook didn’t go 8 times over budget because of lawsuits. The initial cost was $4 Billion for 2 plants. They ended up building 1 plant for $18 billion.

1 Like