CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

Will not start in rain

2000 GMC Savanna Van 5.7 gas. Van sits overnight in rain, it will not start until rain ends. Changed vapor canister, fixed for about 3 months, problem has returned, What next?

I would suspect that the insulation on your spark plug wires is cracked and is admitting moisture.

Not starting in rain is usually a problem with the ignition system.

First place I’d look is the distributor cap…then wires and then the coil.

Simple test…when it’s nice and dry outside and the van starts fine…get a spray bottle of water…and start spraying ignition components one at a time…Try to start after you spray each component. The last component you sprayed is the most likely culprit.

On a dry, dark night, you might be able to see some sparks if you lift the hood.

The warm distributor cap is probably absorbing moisture after the engine is shut off and I think the vapor canister is a coincidence.
When it does this again remove the dist. cap and see if it’s wet inside.

The inside of the cap can attract moisture just like the inside of a warm window on a cold, damp day.
You can try spraying the cap down with WD-40 and see what happens. That won’t remove the moisture that’s in there but can prevent it from happening again; at least for a while.

It is not the ignition. It rained last night, the van would not start this morning unti I took off the gas cap. It started 5 minutes later

Okay, I’ll bite.

How do you know it’s not the ignition?

Along with that good question, why did you decide to take off the gas cap?