Will my car be able to drive long distance

The more I read this thread, the more I think this car will NOT make the trip. There are a lot of hills between Albuquerque and L.A.

It’s 160 miles just to the Arizona state line with a mountain pass in between.

A speed limit of 75 MPH, a 2000 foot elevation gain, a lot of desert and a car loosing coolant and oil.

I see a car broke down in the middle of nowhere.

Absolutely NOT!
You should go to a real mechanic. JL lacks the expertise for this and Firestone is nothing but a bunch of bead-busters. Find an independently owned and operated shop with a good reputation.

1 Like

It’s not losing coolant or oil just checked for any leaks but I am worried cause no my car will only go to 3k rpm before I change a gear then goes back down to 2k

Two quarts of oil every 100 miles is a disaster. I wouldn’t trust this car for a 10 mile trip.

“only go to 3k rpm before I change a gear then goes back down to 2k”

that could be normal, if you are only applying gentle pressure on the throttle (accelerator). The transmission computer downshifts under that condition. What we were reading was that you could not get the engine to go over 3k even in neutral.

@SpacelessMoney I think the only course for you is to spend about 100.00 to 150.00 and have a shop determine just exactly what this vehicle needs. You say you are using oil and had to add coolant then say you have no leaks.
There are several of us that just don’t think you should make your trip in this vehicle. A rental is recommended.

1 Like

If you’re saying the engine revs to 3000 RPM before the automatic transmission shifts and drop the RPM then that sounds normal to me.

Are you saying that if the engine is running while the car is stationary in PARK or NEUTRAL that the engine will NOT exceed 3000 when revved?

If it’s not losing any, Why are you adding coolant and oil ?