Why would anyone buy a Volkswagen?

Car and Driver just did a comparo and they thought they’d hate the new Passat. Actually, they liked it best when compared to a Malibu, Sonata, Optima, Camry, and Accord.

@Jestter231 … you story reminds me … In the mid-1960’s I lived at 6500 feet near a ski resort in the Rocky Mtns, and my neighbor had a VW bug, and I had a Ford Galaxy. My Galaxy was fine for dry roads,but with the engine in front, and the power to the rear wheels, it wasn’t very good when the road was covered in snow and ice. So when it snowed I always hitched a ride with him if he was heading for the nearby ski resort for a day of skiing. I’d leave my Galaxy parked in the driveway. We’d pass cars of all kinds left and right, stranded, waiting for the snowplow to come by. That little VW with its engine in backpositioned right over the drive wheels smoked up those snow covered canyon roads with no problem at al whether the road was plowed or notl. It was almost as good in snow as if it had those rolling treads like on tanks! I got a lot of good powder skiing in due to that car, very true!

@doubleclutch

I know there’s a Lambo dealership in Marysville, Ohio and a Bently dealership just off of rt 33 in northwest columbus

Well, my wife and I leased a Jetta SE almost three years ago. The only car at $19k to have heated seats, leather(ish) seats, full stability/traction control and a firm reasonable ride. It’s a great car. We’re at the end of our lease soon and the car had zero problems. Snow, rain, wind, and sunny days with the moonroof open. Absolutely nothing went wrong with it. All maintenance was paid by VW. We leased it assuming something would eventually go wrong. I think the VW of today is much more reliable (from my point of view). Our car to replace this one will probably be the Passat TDI. If they brought the Passat AllRoad (or whatever they are calling it) to the US, we would absolutely buy it. AWD, 40+ MPG, Wagon-like body. My kinda-car. This one we might buy considering the experience we had.

I’ve never owned a VW, but an older Golf came to live in our family a couple of years ago and knock wood, she’s treated us well.

Now I get to drive my fair share of new VWs, doing what I do at MPGomatic.com and look forward to each and every one. They’re well engineered, quite solid, the interiors are nice, they handle well, are fun to drive, and deliver when it comes to fuel economy. The TDIs are a particular favorite.

VW is coming back big time in the States, with the new factory and cars - like the Passat - that are more suited to our tastes. It’s tough to argue with loads of interior room and a more affordable entry point.

I have owned VWs since 1978. 2 Beetles, a Squareback, 1980 Rabbit, 1984 GTI and a 2003 Jetta TDI 5 speed. I also owned a 70 Nova, a 78 Toyota short bed pickup, a 1987 Toyota 1 Ton pickup and a 2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins pickup. Not many vehicles in 30 plus years. I don’t drive much.The Nova was a winter beater. The Squareback was a family car. The 66 Beetle was my first car with flapping fenders and self draining floors. That also meant self filling in deep water. The 67 Beetle I put 100,000 plus miles on and traded it for the twice totalled before I got it 78 Toyota. The 80 Rabbit made in PA, got a few hundred thousand. The GTI I put a 150,000 on it so I sold it with 280,000 miles. The Jetta only has 324,000 miles. The 78 Toyota rusted out as it was manure truck after I got the 87. I probably put 100,000 miles on it. The 87 had about 280,000 before a high school kid totalled it. We got the Dodge to replace the 87 and it has 140,000 miles. So you might see I drive cars for a while. The Rabbit were supposed to be horribly unreliable with AC problems. I fixed the AC in both cars and they worked for the next 10 years without a recharge. Those Rabbits had no issues really except they like 20w50 oil. Oil light would come on with thin oil. The 87 Toyota had transmission bearings replaced, new clutch and an AC hose. Alternator and starter too but relatively low maintenance. The Jetta has had an alternator pulley, new brushes, a clutch, 3 scheduled maintenance timing belts, Shocks and stuits refresh, rear brakes twice and still original front brakes.Two transmission oil changes. I think only the alternator pulley and the clutch would be considered bad engineering. The Jetta still drives great and is zippy while getting 47-50 mpg. Nothing exceptional as far as lifespan as I have other friends driving other brands with more miles. But the car drives nice, is quiet and taunt. Not loosy goosy like some cars. Dodge is just a beast at 6,000 pounds empty but it tows hay, tractor and horse trailer nicely. Jetta is scheduled for replacement in 10 years or 600,000 miles. Whichever comes first. Or maybe I will keep driving it. Heck it runs fine.

I have driven rental cars. I have ridden or driven in friends cars and trucks. To me just about anything I am in seems adequate and quality is good enough. The Jetta is a nice driving car for me. Why not drive a VW?