Why skinny tires?

I think this sort of thing started out with the “tuner” crowd, and has grown from that. I think they look rediculous, but that’s strictly MHO. What kills me is people who take these things and put them on what would be considered a “traditional” mid-sixties muscle car. It looks absolutely absurd.

Look at any true race car, such as F1 or Indycar, they don’t use rubber band tires.

Strictly a fashion statement. To me, it’s like the “monochrome” look, when people were taking all of the chrome off of custom cars. You hardly ever see that now. Even with Detroit, especially trucks, chrome is making a comeback.

Latest fad that I can do without - black wheels…just look dirty to me.

Caution: When citing race cars, be aware that most racing series have mandated tire sizes - including Formula 1.

But the point is well taken. They are mostly fashion statements. Just like jacked up vehicles and low riders have advantages, that isn’t the point.

Dr, I agree, but it’s all purely a matter of taste. I remember in the early '70’s putting “60 series” tires on my new Vega (that was considered low profile in those days) as well as front and rear spoilers (I could SWEAR they made my car go faster). It’s all young folks just having fun. Better they get interesting in fancying up their cars than in the art of mixology.

Agreed, ASM. It is a matter of taste. I never make any comments to the owners, as beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Remember those “spinning” wheels that were hot for a while? That fad didn’t last too long did it? They were absurdly expensive and hard to maintain.