Why not? Puzzler

The battery tools have really come along way in recent years. They were pretty much junk in the past but have greatly improved. I like not having the smell and noise of a two stroke so deal with some of the other inconveniences such as high cost of battery replacement.

I find it crazy that some older cars were once two stroke. I was watching videos of cheap economy cars in commie block countries and they sounded like oversized weed wackers.

Here is one: 1979 Trabant 601 S | TEST DRIVE and TOP SPEED | POV - YouTube

It looks like something like this would be a fun toy but not on US roads!

1 Like

Here is another video where you really get the feel for how the commie block cars were back in the day. The noise, emissions, and structural integrity leave a lot to be desired. This thing definitely sounds like an oversized two stroke weed whacker. Trabant vs. ARO IMS (original) - YouTube

Yes they have, but Iā€™m still not a fan of battery operated tools. I prefer air for the shop and corded electric for home and garden. Iā€™m in the market for a new, larger hedge trimmer and there are more battery operated models out there than cordless. True, the batteries last much longer now than they did 10 years ago, but I have yet to be working in the yard and have my extension cord run out of charge!

I started down the path of cordless tools for the shop, but aside from a cordless driver, the hassle of charging and swapping batteries was too much. Also, a battery operated 1/2" impact is heavier than a pneumatic one.

1 Like

Weight is certainly important for a professional that is handling the tools all day long, every day. Even a well balanced tool with the big battery is still heavy.

Pneumatic is best for compact power but you still have the hose to contend with. The first time I used a pneumatic drill had me even more convinced. I drilled a large diameter hole right through a chassis rail in tight quarters (plow mount) where the electric drills struggled to make a dent using the same bit.

One thing my battery gear has going is the common batteries for all the tools. I own the One+ batteries and it just becomes routine to put the dead battery on charge when I take one off. I have those large batteries with the built in voltmeter and they last a l-o-n-g time on a charge. Itā€™s not much different than stopping to fill the gas tankā€¦

Back when I had my own place, I had a commercial customer with a large box truck that needed a transmission. The truck was too large for my hoists so we were ā€œflatbackingā€ the job outside. Matco dealer happened by and offered to loan me their latest greatest cordless 1/2" impact. It was quite powerful, but at the end of the day my elbow was sore from lifting that heavy thing. I gave it back the next week with a ā€œno thanksā€.

HA! flatbacking. First I heard that term and it is funny! Consider that stolen and canā€™t wait to use it.

I think I will edit my post to say Flatbackingā„¢ and wait for the royalties to come in every time you use it! :grinning:

1 Like

I end up using my battery tools all around my farm and not always just in one location such as a garage/shop. For me they make more sense when I might be 1/2 mile away from power. I can understand air being useful in a limited space.

Also, some of the tools go with me on IT jobs. Sometimes I need to set anchor bolts in concrete with a hammer drill or use an impact driver. I know these are smaller tools but the portability is key for me.

I wish I had a battery hedge trimmers but it is corded. I didnā€™t buy it and never used it, but Iā€™ve got a bunch of high growth way in the back. I donā€™t have enough extension cords to reach. So if I get to it this year, Iā€™m going to use the generator to power it. Thatā€™s why I like the battery tools I do have. I was very disappointed though in the pc power saw I bought. Not enough juice to even make one full cut in plywood. I believe it is because you have to have the super duper $70 battery for it. Iā€™m not there yet.

I tried a few rechargeable battery things years ago, and was very disappointed in battery life . So my 2 cycle huscaverna chain saw died last year, bought a corded pole saw, I do not need it often and I am happy with it. Electric weed whacker and hedge trimmer, drill and circular saw and scroll saw, sawzall. I did buy a battery lawnmower, 1 season down and that is fine. Snowblowers and cars 4 cycle gas, boat motors are 2 cycle.

Some Audi, Mazda, Saab, Suzuki, and Subaru models of yesteryear used 2-stroke engines as well. Maybe some of these were based originally on Soviet-designed cars, donā€™t know. I thought there were some UK and French 2-stroke cars, but donā€™t recall for sure. The 2CV name sounds like a two-stroke, but I think it might have used a four stroke engine, just under-powered.

My mo ped would foul rhe plug all time. Once it started no problem but left me high and dry more than once not starting. Never figured it out if it was the oil I used, or the quantity or plug or what. Push or pedal it home and it was about an hour to disassemble to get at the plug and then reassemble. Never had it that long though.

My Suzuki 2-cycle dirt bike had that problem, but only if I drove it at full throttle (teenage me did this frequently of course ā€¦lol ). I presume the engine designers thought it better to inject the maximum amount of oil-flow when the throttle was maxed out. Pretty soon the engine would conk out. Iā€™d have to remove the spark plug and clean the gunk from the tip. Didnā€™t take very long, maybe 10 minutes. Tool kit with all needed tools under the seat.