Why is recirculate the default for AC

I seem to remember the old VW’s being air and water tight

1 Like

Well, they would ‘definitely float, but not float indefinitely’ according to the ad:

2 Likes

… and their heater/defroster was… theoretical… rather than something that actually existed. :smirk:

In all fairness, if one was driving at highway speed, the flow through the heater outlets was good, but at city speeds it was almost non-existent.

I owned a Karmann-Ghia that I bought as a used car, and I installed the heater blower from a '55 Chevy into the heat duct on the driver’s side. That made a major difference–on that side. However, in order to get adequate heat on the passenger side I would have had to install a second blower, and the anemic electrical system could not have supported a second blower running constantly during the winter months.

1 Like

That is what I remember also I think you had to crack a window to close the door’s.

VDCdrivers’s comment about VWs reminded me of the time my girlfriend (later became my wife) made a 125 mile trip to Tulsa to see Styx and the J. Geils Band. Upper 20s, forecast for ice and in a 61 VW Bug with a leaky junction box.

The CO got pretty thick and most of the trip there and back was torturous to say the least. Windows down a bit or not? It turned out to be down a bit; alternating between freezing to death and being gassed.
And all while struggling along at 50 MPH or less on the hills…
Concert was great; the ride there and back not so much. I’m surprised the girlfriend did not dump me on the spot.