Why is Honda the #1 and #2 most often stolen cars?

Cars in rural areas don’t get stolen for parts?

Not as often. Easier and less risky to steal from a city. More vehicles to choose from. More vehicles that you know about. Some rural areas do have higher rates…but in general - Metropolitan areas are the hot beds.

http://www.crimedoctor.com/autotheft1.htm

Look at the model years. The most popular in many years is a mid-1990s Accord, followed by late 1990s Civic. I suspect that these are from the last generation without alarms, making them easier to steal.

1 Like

From the police reports in the newspaper, I think you are right. It’s one car theft after another followed by a series of arrests for possession of drug related glass pipes. hmmm … maybe those police blotter reports are not coincidences. Hopefully the meth heads will switch to pot now that it’s legal in Calif.

Simple

Because your 1992 Corolla with a faulty license plate light sticks out like a store thumb in high-priced Silicon Valley

2 Likes

I don’t doubt that this is a factor.
Another factor might be that they’re so common in densely-populated low-income urban areas, where crime is higher. That seems to be where many old Civics end up. They kept on chuggin’ long after others had hit the shredder, and became dirt-cheap to buy. The perfect urban assault vehicle for low income buyers.

No one in my extended family has an alarm in any of our vehicles and that include a 2010, 2012, 2015 and 2016.

All of your vehicles should have an ignition immobilizer system, something that those old cars lack. Your Camry should have a factory theft alarm, it was standard equipment.

1 Like

I agree . . . my 2005 Toyota has a factory alarm, and it wasn’t the top of the line model