Why hasn’t diesel taken off in the US?

I based that on the last diesel I drove which was an early 70’s Mercedes 240D, which was underwhelming at best.

Well, that explains a lot . . . that was the quintessential taxi for quite a few years

I had a rental Opel Astra diesel in 2004 or so. Terrific car, great torque, good hp. I had to open the hood to confirm it was a diesel! Quiet and smooth!

Even the early 1980s. Mash the accelerator and the response is “Hey. You talkin’ to me?”

2 Likes

Wheeler Dealers did a restoration on a 300D. They said it was slow, but that the turbocharger made it bearable. The 240D was ruled out because acceleration was glacial and Brewer figured no one would want one of them.

Years ago I passed a 240D after an on ramp, it was doing maybe 40. About five minutes later it came steaming by at 70.

Oh yeah, forgot about the Blue Def now. Pain in the neck having to fill up both tanks not to mention adding at least a couple cents a mile to fuel costs.

I had a rental Opel Astra station wagon in Portugal 2003. 1L 5spd M/T Gasoline. It was quite a disappointment following the Opel Vectra. I would guess it was at least 3 years old with some hard miles. I called it the “Astro” after the ‘Jetson’s’ canine as it was definitely a “DOG”. Even the 5spd M/T shifter was awful. Did your 2004 or so Astra have the 2.2L turbo diesel and slick shifter?

It was a manual and I think I was a 2.2l. Definitively a turbo. Plenty of torque, if I’d have been in Germany instead of France, I’m pretty sure it would easily hit 120 mph. I wasn’t going to test that with the gendarmes and their speed traps!

Up to end of -03 (Astra G), 2,2 turbo diesel, 125 hp/280 nm at 1500 rpm.
From -04 (Astra H), 1,9 turbo diesel, from 101 hp to 149 hp/320 nm at 2000 - 2750 rpm. Made by FIAT.