Why drive a manual?

The semi I used to drive had 10 forward gears. It also had two reverse gears.

2 Likes

With these 6+ gears for automatics these days manufacturers are adding separate tranny coolers for just that reason. These tranny’s run hot…more gears = hotter. The other way some manufacturers are going is to have an auxiliary tranny cooler.

I have a 10 speed manual that I like. It’s on my Raleigh bicycle.

3 Likes

My first 10-speed manual was on my Raleigh SuperCourse.

Our first was a 10-speed Waring blender.

Now some of my bicycles (I’m up to 14 bikes, so far, in north and south together.) have 24-speed manuals, but the thing is, I don’t use all 24 gear ratios every time I ride. I ordinarily use 8 of them, except on steep hills (In Florida, you ask?). There are some steep hills here… the John Ringling Causeway bridge to Bird Key, St. Armands Circle, Lido Key, bridge to Perico Island, The Green & DeSoto Bridges to Palmetto, draw bridges to Anna Maria Island, Long Boat Key …

The bikes are more like automatics with paddle shifters, no clutch pedals, and with little paddles.
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

Back in the late 1950s, Bendix made a two speed transmission/coaster brake for bicycles. One would start off pedaling in a lower gear, then backpedal slightly and the unit would go into a higher gear. Backpedal slightly again and it would go into low. Backpedal further and the brake would be applied. I often wondered if Bendix borrowed this idea from Chrysler corporation with its “lift and clunk” semi-automatic transmission. I also thought Bendix might be in cahoots with the auto industry to get young riders in love with automatic transmissions and away from the Sturmey-Archer three speed manual gears common on bicycles at the time

I had that Bendix 2-speed on my blue Schwinn Racer. IIRC it was $52, and the same bike with the SA 3 speed and hand brakes was $56.25. The salesman recommended the Bendix, and it was the right bike for me at my age, then about 11.

My next 2-speed automatic was on my Chevy II, maybe a 1962, bought in about 1969 for $400. It needed a head gasket at some point. It’s the only car where I experienced a 360 degree spinaround while braking on an icy road. Stayed on the road, anyway!

Yep, well aware of multi speed semi transmissions, and drive them occasionally at work. Do not want one for a daily driver, though!

Unless maybe I’m getting paid to drive to work and back :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

On bikes, it’s not so much that you need micro splits between ratios as it is you need a large depth of gearing. I believe these modern 10 speed autos also have those extra gears for greater depth of gearing more than for micro splits between ratios. They likely have a “high” gear, then an “overdrive” and then a “super overdrive” and finally a super super overdrive that’s only used when coasting down hills. Like a 24 speed road bicycle, it may never get into gear number 10 until you lift off the gas to coast to a stop and likely only uses only 5 or six of the gears in normal driving.

Those old 6x6 multi fueler trucks could be a pain to drive.

and splitting gears could get more involved while the fuel was often turned up allowing the engine up crank past the red line and reach about 70 mph. And imagine doing that shifting with 2 sand bags on the floor.

I don’t have the performance pack on mine, but I can tell you it is about a 10 second run to 100 mph with the auto(hopefully the video will load)

Get your knees scraped clean. I did mine and they felt like new, and I wished I had done it decades before.

And now one speeds with the electric cars.

And now one speeds with the electric cars .

And if one speeds with an electric car they will get a speeding ticket just like any other type vehicle .

This policy of not being able to quote the entire post that you reference to is silly. @cdaquila

Not sure if the “you” is me, but I never said it was a policy. I said it may be a feature built into discourse. Kind of like the inability to mass-close threads. Or a character minimum for replies.

I get the impression that current policies are aimed at keeping us fixed to the OP, @VOLVO_V70, and avoid a thread taking on a myriad of subtexts which is popular on those tribal political forums where continual reposting with added comments develops into a difficult to follow menagerie of often unrelated issues. But those sites can be entertaining also. .

Yes, but, they will get a ticket faster, since they exceed the speed limit faster. But if a cop is ever alerted to neighborhood speeders by their exhaust sounds, that won’t happen with electrics. Rode in an electric 4 door sedan last week that was as fast as a McLaren F1, and I’m still in shock at how dang fast it was.

Shock? :open_mouth: I’ll bet it was electrifying! :zap:
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

2 Likes

I have a couple of electric fans that have three speed motors. I would expect electric car motors to have multiple speeds. For those who like to shift, there would be a lever analogous to a gear shift and a pedal on the floor. When one needs to shift to a different winding, one depresses the pedal which interrupts the electric power to the motor, moves the lever to change windings, and then releases the pedal to resume power to the motor
For those who don’t like to shift motor windings, a system could be implemented similar to an attic fan I installed in my previous house. The fan motor slowed down as the house cooled off and ultimately shut off. This was an improvement over the attic fan I installed in our present house. We start the fan on high to move the air. As the house cools, Mrs. Triedaq makes me get up and turn the fan to low. Finally, I have to get up again and turn the fan off.
As I see it, we could have electric cars that change the motor windings automatically or have manual shift motors where the driver selects the motor windings. We could then continue this thread into the 22nd century.

Electric cars have infinite speeds, just one gear.

1 Like