Why drive a manual?

One thing I haven’t yet experienced is an automatic that is capable of engine braking. This is primarily what I like about full manuals. I have full automatics and semi-automatics. The latter being nice to be able to control shift points but still not able to get the effect of engine braking and of course, the sound…yes, the sound…I miss that.

1 Like

All my ATs do OK with engine braking on hills.

1 Like

I can chalk this writer’s style up to wanting to create a narrative rather than a dry essay. The only gripe I have with what he wrote is that if he’s bliping the throttle to rev match when he’s downshifting, he better be driving a commercial truck or something else that doesn’t have synchronizers in its manual transmission. Otherwise, it’s a complete waste of fuel every time he does it.

One reason I’m a fan of manual transmissions is that an automatic transmission can be a car’s weak spot, the weak link in the drivetrain. Although most people won’t own a vehicle long enough for it to make a difference, a manual transmission is more reliable and it’s cheaper to rebuild if it ever needs a rebuild.

I just realized I’ve been driving the same car for 20 years, on the same manual transmission and with only one clutch replacement at about 250,000 miles if I remember correctly. At 313,000 miles, it’s due for another clutch soon. The replacement hasn’t lasted as long as the original before showing signs of age, but I know if I don’t sell the car in the next few months, a new clutch will only cost about $450.

2 Likes

Over 200 replies and counting…

Why drive a manual? Because some folks want to drive them.

I have owned manual transmission cars and still have one, by choice. However, I usually prefer an automatic.

Manual? Automatic?
It’s really no more complicated than "Whatever floats your boat."

:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

6 Likes

That’s why I chose a minivan with a dual clutch automatic, with the clutches right at the front of the transmission. Also, here in China where automatic is just beginning to become popular, it means that the manufacturers are much more experienced in producing manual transmissions up until now. I have more confidence in chinese made dual clutch than conventional automatics and CVTs as the manufacturing process is similar to producing a manual.

Interestingly, the computer tends to allow the clutches to slip quite a bit in first and second unless it knows for sure that it’s climbing. Perhaps it is to smooth out the low speed roughness that people used to complain about. I just hope the wet clutches can handle the slip.

The 4 speed hydramatic was used in Pontiac Bonnevilles through 1964. My 1963 had one.

My Mustang 6 speed auto does have engine braking when in manual mode. I use it sometimes in stop-and-go traffic so I can moderate speeds… and entertain myself in a boring traffic jam with the window down.

Same can be said for the wife’s Audi A4. It is also a ZF 6 speed auto. The car is too quiet to make nice noises.

Now I’m really jealous. First the pic of the awesome paint job and now this??

I saw a GT go by on the expressway the other night. Sweet exhaust note.
This is something I will miss when we’re all driving electric cars…

1 Like

I am right there with you!

Even some ICE cars are so quiet you can only hear the tires anymore!

Not to worry. Simulated exhaust will be provided because simulation is already far superior to reality. Of course the sound will be internal only. Possibly offending someone is not allowed.

1 Like

The points I got from it were:

-Manuals used to be more fuel efficient than autos, but not so today with new auto transmissions

-Manuals used to have much more parasitic loss than auto transmissions, but not so today.

Probably some other points, I don’t remember. And I’m not stating these things, I’m stating that he did. Before anyone decides to correct me if the points are wrong. Cuz I don’t know.

Would be interesting to see a drag race between a new Mustang (or Camaro, or challenger) identically equipped except for the transmission. One with a stick, the other auto. I guess the autos have more gears now, so should win? My main gripe with autos was basically less driver control and more power loss. Apparently the power loss isn’t as significant now with the newer autos. Per the article. Again, I haven’t researched that myself, so do not know.

Backwards. Manuals have less power loss through them, in the old days and also today. Automatics have much less power losses through them today, than yesterday but with greater amount of gears and quicker shifts, they provide greater overall efficiency.

I’m sure someone somewhere has run both Camaros and Mustangs at the strip with autos and manuals. … OK found the Mustang stuff

2018 GT Fastback (Performance Pack. 2) 6 speed manual, 0-60 4.3 sec…1/4 mile 12.7 sec @ 114 mph

2018 GT Premium Fastback (Performance Pack.)10 speed auto 0 to 60 3.8 sec … 1/4 mile 12.1 sec @ 120 mph

So the automatic is quicker with 10 speeds.

If I look at 2013 figures, the 6 speed manual is faster than the 6 speed automatic by 0.8 sec in the 1/4 mile. A few tenths slower 0-60, too

3 Likes

Yes, typed that backwards. Good catch.

So the 10 speed auto is faster than the 6 speed manual. Would’ve thought so. I don’t think I’d want a 10 speed manual if they made one. I’d have to get knee surgery after driving that.

Good info on the 6 speed auto vs manual. Seems like quite a bit of power loss in the auto? I wonder how they compare on a dyno. Would show the actual loss in the auto.

Edited because I thought auto and typed manual again!

Could the horsepower on automatics and manuals ever be compared due to the factory gear ratios available on each drive train? Aren’t automatics always geared higher than otherwise identical engines in identical cars?

And long-long ago I drove a '59 Impala with a 4bbl 409 and a power glide. At wide open throttle that car remained in 1st gear beyond 80 mph as I recall.

In hot weather driving, a car with a manual transmission is less likely to overheat. That’s because a car with an automatic uses part of the radiator to cool the transmission fluid. There is a separate channel inside the radiator for transmission fluid flow.

1 Like

Used to be. No more. Now when there are more gears, no need for that.

I can supply that for the 2013 Mustang. Typical RWHP for a manual is about 380 - 390 out of 420 crank HP. The numbers on the 6 speed auto is 350 - 360 RWHP Haven’t see anything on the 10 speed.

Then you get weirdness! Mustang autos usually come with 3.15 or 3.31 rear gears while the manuals are more likely to have 3.55 to 3.73’s. The automatic’s 1st gear is higher numerically. Multiply the gear times the rear ratio and the numbers are almost identical. The manual has a taller 6th gear than the automatic.

So, you get the same results in total ratio spread and engine rpm at 60 mph in 6th. The results are as you said. Ford just gets there a bit differently.

Very true. They kept it for the bonney and star chief and put the slim Jim in the Catalina and Grand Prix. Olds used the slim Jim in all models from 61-64. Caddy used the 4 speed thru 63, and introduced the 3 speed turbo for 64

I can tell you the ‘89 Nissan Maxima (the “four door sports car”) had a faster 0 to 60 time with a manual transmission. I saw a race between two of them, one with a stick and the other with a slush box in “sport” mode, and the stick won.