Why doesn't every car have a turbo?

What do you guys think of the 3126

A lot of the older trucks in our fleet have them

@Bing
"Iā€™m sure its all there and more but geez, just when I was getting used to 8.1, I come down one day and its automatically upgrading me to Windows 10, without my permission and after me saying later, later, later."

ā€œHello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?
Affirmative, Dave. I read you.
Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
Iā€™m sorry, Dave. Iā€™m afraid I canā€™t do that.ā€ ā€¦

ā€¦ ā€œHAL, I wonā€™t argue with you anymore! Open the doors!ā€
ā€œDave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.ā€

I think weā€™re just about[?] there. :neutral:
CSA

"I'm sure its all there and more but geez, just when I was getting used to 8.1, I come down one day and its automatically upgrading me to Windows 10, without my permission and after me saying later, later, later."

It would not have upgraded to 10 without you specifically asking. Maybe one of your kids did it. But it wouldnā€™t happen on itā€™s own.

The venerable 3126 ,seems to be a pretty good engine,I think its used in place of a derated 3306 in some heavy equipment too.

66"]
venerable
[/quote]

Agree the 3126 is decent engine. I had one. The only problem ( as per cat dealer they are basicly a throw away when they go bad ) I as was told they have no sleeves in order to replace rings which or psitons which I needed they would have to bore block to add sleeves at a cost of much more than buying a new engine.

Because they donā€™t need themā€¦The only time a turbocharger or supercharger provides any benefit is when driving at Wide Open Throttleā€¦98% of the time you are not driving at WOT (at least Iā€™m not) so most cars and drivers have little need to pressurize their intake manifoldsā€¦

With gasoline engines, thatā€™s true. However with diesels, it a whole 'nother story. A turbo effectively transforms a diesel into a combined Diesel/Brayton cycle engine. With no throttle in the intake manifold, the boost is always there to convert the intake stroke into a second power stroke as the boost pushes the piston down instead of the piston having to suck the air in, even at low power use.
With spark ignition engines, the throttle pretty much renders the turbocharger passive at low power use.

Small turbo engines now are on boost much more of the time, not just at WOT.

I donā€™t recall any turbo charged engines that donā€™t provide some boost at half throttle or less. These are generally smaller than average sized engines for the application, if you have a V-8 you donā€™t need boost at part throttle.

I hate turbos in cars and would never buy one, but in class 8 trucks, turbos were a godsend. Class 8 trucks used to spend almost all there time at WOT except downhill, It wasnā€™t until turbos that I got to drive trucks where you could drive the speed you wanted to and then lift your foot and cruise at that speed at part throttle.

I didnā€™t get to drive trucks like that very often, most freight companies are too cheap to buy powerful engines.

1 Like

You accept a turbo charger on a diesel engine because without the engine has insufficient power. If your next Camry is only available with a 1.6 liter engine will you pass on the turbo?

Ford had a medium diesel engine before they got the ā€œlittle cumminsā€ diesel for their medium trucks it was a great engine ( a little down on power from todays engines ,but very fuel efficient {they would turn 3k with a bosch pump )I dont remember who produced them ,but they used a ā€œparentā€ metal block which could be bored up to three times ,then if necessary resleeved (I drove one and I used read all the literature on these things I could find) But alas I have basically lost interest in these matters,its hard to get on a manus website and find what you want to know (try Mack for instance ) was checking out a new piece of equipment and looking under the hood and an old wanker laughed ā€œjust an engineā€ (or something like that He said) ,he missed the whole point entirely ,at that point I just threw up my hands ,maybe I am getting too old to be a gearhead anymore,but I have noticed Cat and John Deere are getting their names intermingled with some of the old famous brands .

That would depend on other factors, such as the Camryā€™s weight, its power-to-weight ratio with and without the turbo, its GVWR, etc. If it has variable valve timing and a CVT, it might have enough power to get out of its own way without a turbo.

It would depend on the market choices at the time. As for not getting out of its own way, I bought new a 60 hp VW bus in 1971 and also owned a 1959 Studebaker lark with the same flathead six as the pre WWII Champion. I drove tractor trailer for 40 years, acceleration is not the key to making time between two points. Maintaining speed and reading traffic are. I am amazed by the people with pickups and SUVs that blast off a light and race up to the next one so quickly that they have to slam on their brakes and stop just before it turns green only to repeat the process ad infinitum.

It is not that I drive slowly, on the interstates I usually set the cruise control at 9 over the speed limit. 30 years ago 9 over would have you passing almost everyone, today, about half the people are passing you.

2 Likes

Years ago there was a Mobil Gas Economy Run and the winning drivers used their brakes very little. They made good time while getting fabulous gas mileage.

For the most part, I agree with you. I canā€™t stand drivers who donā€™t accelerate in the acceleration lane and then make people on the highway slow down to accommodate them.

Having said that, there are a lot of entrance ramps in the U.S. that are too short due to poor design, and in those places, it helps to have some power.

Iā€™ve driven a semi and low powered vehicles too, but your point isnā€™t universally true, only mostly true.

The 1954 Kaiser Manhattan waa available with a factory.optionā€“a McCullough supercharger. The option was advertised as ā€œpower on demandā€. One had the economy of a six under most conditions but the power of a V8 when needed. However, the Kaiser engine was a,flathead 6 and the economy wasnā€™t really good. The normally aspirated Cadillac V8 has just as good economy and more power.

Roots/twin scew superchargers provide boost at just about all engine speeds.

1 Like

The base engine on all midsize performance luxury cars is now a turbocharged 4-cyl engine. I think the last two holdouts were the Benz E-class and the Lexus G- class. I read a review of the new E300 MB and the reviewer from cars.com stated this. The 2017 E-class isnā€™t even available with a 6 or 8 cylinder engine yet. That should happen later this year.