Why doesn't every car have a turbo?

@Bing For many years GM busses were powered by 2 Stoke V6 diesels. Unfortunately those engines can no longer meet strict tailpipe emissions standards and are being phased out. Our city now has busses with 6 cylinder Cummins diesels and they like them a lot less. The old 2 Stroke units worked well at part and light loads, much better that the Cummins units which excel at high load ratings such as highway tractors.

@ā€œHonda Blackbirdā€

It was a few years ago, I believe

I know you were not the ā€œnaysayerā€

But I know heā€™s one of the active regulars who is here on a near daily basis

In my mind, Iā€™ve narrowed it down to a few guys, but I wonā€™t mention any names, because it canā€™t serve any purpose

But youā€™re definitely not on the ā€œshort listā€

At the time, I did not use the term ā€œturbo compoundingā€ because I hadnā€™t heard of it

Thanks for the thought that you would have stuck up for me :cry:

@Docnick

In my neck of the woods, all the new buses seem to be CNG

I suppose itā€™s cleaner than diesel, but itā€™s not a ā€œsilver bulletā€ technology

Actually, turbo-compounding refers only to the recovery of mechanical energy from the exhaust that is applied directly to the drivetrain:

Doc, Iā€™m not a Tesla cheerleader because Iā€™m an environmentalistā€¦ Iā€™m not.
Iā€™m a cheerleader for David against Goliath(s).
And I love to see someone truly burst the boundaries of the technology and leave all the naysayers wondering what just happenedā€¦ :smile:

@insightful

I know it wasnā€™t you, but you can take over if you want

You have my ā€œblessingā€ to do so :wink:

Another way to recover more energy from the exhaust gasses is to have a longer expansion stroke in the engine. By having the effective expansion (power) stroke longer than the effective compression stroke, you can have something like a 8 or 9 to one compression ratio allowing the burning of low octane fuel, yet still have something like a 13 or 14 to one expansion ratio during the power stroke recovering the energy with the engineā€™s pistons instead of a turbo.
Toyota does this with the engines used in their Prius hybrids.

Well Iā€™m quite sure it wasnā€™t me either. One because Iā€™m usually polite when I disagree with someone and two because I couldnā€™t tell the difference between the two systems.

Our city now has busses with 6 cylinder Cummins diesels and they like them a lot less.

Many cities switched over to CNG or Propane decades ago. Far cleaner then any Dieselā€¦Perfect for a city bus.

Db ,could this be the book you referenced
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest
38 used & new from $14.18
See All Buying Options
Submit
Add to List
Trade in your item
Get a $2.32
Gift Card.
Trade in

Learn More
Have one to sell?
Sell on Amazon

See this image
History of Aircraft Piston Engines : Aircraft Piston Engines from the Manly Balzer to the Continental Tiara (McGraw-Hill Series in Aviation) Paperback ā€“ June, 1986

@kmccune

Iā€™m pretty sure it was older than 1986

I canā€™t see the image, by the way

@Docnick, I can think of lots of reasons to not like Cummins diesel engines, mainly because of the time I spent driving a Volvo semi with a Cummins engine. My main beef with Cummins is that every problem the truck had Cummins claimed was caused by a Volvo system, which was never actually the case.

Have to blame it on this computer and OS ,I could do basically anything I wanted on XP, not so much on Windows 8.1. Seems to me like a Guy named Smith wrote a very good book on reciporcating aircraft engines,that ranged from at least the Liberty V8 s to the proposed H12 Gnome Fairy turbo compounded diesel (it was stillborn due to the advent of the turbine engine) I read this book around twenty years ago and I dont know if that library in another locale still has that book or not ,but let me tell you ,if you are a gearhead,it was meat and drink .

Have to blame it on this computer and OS ,I could do basically anything I wanted on XP, not so much on Windows 8.1.

What functionality did you loose? Some things have been movedā€¦but I donā€™t know of any functionality being removed.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure its all there and more but geez, just when I was getting used to 8.1, I come down one day and its automatically upgrading me to Windows 10, without my permission and after me saying later, later, later. Now I have no idea whatā€™s there or where it is and Iā€™m just giving up. Canā€™t wait for 11, 12, to come next year. At least I didnā€™t get charged for the chaos.

Thereā€™s a free little program at grc.com that shuts off the Windows 10 notification (nag).

@Whitey On of my past jobs was sales engineer for Caterpillar diesel and natural gas engines. We introduced the 1873? model to the trucking industry. Compared to Cummins engines these were wildly over designed and were routinely good for 1 million miles.

We did make fun of Cummins and Rolls Royce diesels which did not fare well in North America, largely because of excessive oil consumption.

Kevin, are you trying to use old programs with Windows 8.1? Programs designed for XP or 95 wonā€™t always run properly.

Could be it jt,I probably need just to get a brand spanking new computer ,I dont have the time to spend on the computer anymore,I know the windows media players have became ridiculous ,all I want are basic programs that do the job ,not something designed by a warp speed ultra texting young person ,there seems to be a half a dozen ways to do any one thing now ,I used to use outlook express ,now it seems unusable for a casual user.Thunderbird may be free,but is sure unresponsive on this machine.
Everytime my computer upgrades something else I dont need or use will hide itself somewhere ans I have a rough time trying email any attachments on XP it was basically automatic , the older meia players were so easy to create playlists and rip and burn on(I still use cds-I know ,I know ,I need to get with the program and start using digital media ,but I dont yet posses any players for the digital media )

@ Whitey the 3204 was a great engine ,but the 3208 in my experience not so much,what was the difference .And can you tell me a bit about the 1873?