Why does a car or cycle with no muffler make noise?

Only if the engine it coming towards or away from you. The pitch change of the engine in the car you are riding in comes from the change in rpm. The explosions come faster or slower based on RPM and that makes the pitch rise and fall. More cylinders raise the pitch, too, as do smaller cylinders.

Yeah, I was thinking of the farm equipment and the groundskeeping equipment

Colors arenā€™t patented, they take out a copyright.

Edit-a trademark, as noted below.

Actually, they can be patented if they are a part of a design scheme. See the link. But only for 15 years. Iā€™d say the John Deere green trimmed in yellow could have been patented years ago as could the Cat design scheme. Both would have long since run out, of course.

But, as you point out, a single color canā€™t be patented but it can be trademarked to protect a specific business or product. The trademarked Deere green could be used to sell shoes or umbrellas without the brand logo, of course, but not another brand of tractors.

I could be wrong but as I mentioned previously, colors are treated like logos and those are trademarked. Copyrights are for works of authorship.

You could patent the method of making a particular color.

Iā€™ve owned several bikes but the fastest that I ever rode was a 1200 Kawasaki. I maxed it out in 4th gear and throttled back in 5th and have never exceeded the speed limit on 2 wheels since.

1 Like

Maxed out in 4th on a 1200 would be in the blinding fast category.

Fastest Iā€™ve ever been on a bike was 120 and that was when me and a friend decided to open them up a bit on the way back from Sturgis, SD. That was also a one time thing as I prefer normal speeds.
I had a rear tire blow one time at 85 and it took 10 minutes for my heart to retreat from my throat back into my chest. I wrestled that bike for a quarter mile (all downhill on I-40 near Vian, OK) before getting it stopped. It was all wrestling and coasting as brakes could not even be touched. Once the heartbeat settled down to 150 BPM, I found one of those 12" long nails that are used for rain gutters stuck in the tire where it shredded the tube.

Our ex-mayor used to live on a BMW. He didnā€™t even own a car and about 30 years ago he had accrued an honest million miles on a bike. He thought nothing of riding from OK to LA for a cup of coffee with someone and then hotfooting it back. His normal cruise speed was around a 100 or so. I seem to vaguely remember that he rode to Boston once just to have dinner with someone.

Heā€™s the only person I know who could fall asleep at 100 MPH and survive it. About as hard case a rider as could be found.

I had a blowout on my trumpet at 65 with a passenger, had told her before if anything happens, just remain consistent. Hit the brakes and was down to 35mph before the tire was flopping side to side on the rim. We came to a safe stop, if not for the passenger I would have bailed for the ditch. New tires and tubes for the trip, ended up a rim lock had the rubber folded over and the metal caused a failure of the tube. An alderman stopped and had some favors owed by a towing company, they towed out a pickup truck, put the bike in back and towed us to a buds house 35 miles away. Luckily the lady knew some people in Knoxville as we were from southern IL, was a Saturday on labor day weekend of course, a few days hanging out with a band who listened to Weather report the band 24/7, cool enough, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI87xvv-OJE

Was thinking doppler effect because the air is getting pushed out so much faster.

Nope, Doppler effect only applies when a sound source is moving towards or away from you.

A similar effect is used in Doppler radar, which measures how the speed of an object changes the frequency of the reflected signal.

1 Like

I may have been thinking too hard, but the advanced volume of gas escaping from the cylinder could account for doppler effect changing the pitch, give another explanation for a higher pitch at higher rpms. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get it right. Certainly doppler effect is what you have said, but I think it might apply to engine exhaust, I do not know for sure that doppler only applies to objects moving towards you but could apply to higher volume and speed of the exhaust. Your explanation?

Imagine what the Harley Peashooter sounds like. That stub you see is the total exhaust system on them. They were made for board track racing but many of them ended up as street bikes. I would imagine it would have been a bit harsh on the ears.

Dallas, TX is not surrounded by desert, unless perhaps you had Dallas, SD in mind.

You can think of a sonic boom as extreme doppler effect. You donā€™t hear anything until the object passes you and then you hear its sound all at once, and as itā€™s going away from you, doppler effect causes any sound to have a frequency of zero Hz.

Itā€™s kind of interesting watching top fuel dragsters race from the starting line area. It sounds like the engines are lugging down as they accelerate down the strip and then when you see the header flames go out you still hear the car for a second or so. It takes about 1.17 seconds for sound to go a quarter mile.

Nothing to do with Doppler. Higher rpms generate higher pitched sounds automatically.

The last time I went to see top fuel dragsters run in 2008 or so, I was sitting right at the starting line with ear muffs on. I could FEEL the 10,000 hp as much as hear it! The air felt like it was sucked right out of my lungs.

The engines run so rich that there is a lot of ā€œafter burnā€ of the excess fuel shooting flames out the exhaust. Made more so because the Nitro-methane they use for fuel has oxygenates in the fuel itself. Wicked stuff!

Back in the 1980ā€™s when they were ā€œonlyā€ making 5000 hp, it wasnā€™t so intense!

I dunno, I kind of like the sound of a 9 cylinder radial, or four 18 cylinder radials working in close formation on the same airplane.

I have heard Indians, Vincents, and even a Brough Superior start up and run. The Vincents seem to have a lot of mechanical clatter competing with the exhaust sound.

The Brough in Brough Superior rhymes with rough.

I love the smell of partially burned hydrocarbons in the morningā€¦

Big displacement lumpy cams, high rpm sewing machine smoothness, fire breathing drag cars, they all appeal to me on different levels.

2 Likes

Guaranteed: Some people will think you mean this. H.L. Mencken famously said, ā€œNo one ever went broke overestimating the intelligence of the American people.ā€