Why could the doors not be opened? Requires electricity?

Dog survived.

Think that our doors can be opened by pushing the door opener 3-seconds.
(Addendumb: No. It is pulling the door lever twice.
Many times when getting out have done it to check that it is working OK.)

Looks like an electrical fire.

Electronics usually don’t work during an electrical fire in a vehicle.

Tester

I am going to say that the doors were looked and with the vehicle already on fire, the LEO was having a hard enough time breathing and getting close enough to remove the dog, I don’t think that anyone wanted to put their arm/hand inside a burning vehicle to open the door…

Sounds like you have never been close to something burning and tried to breath, it burns your throat and makes it almost impossible to breath if not impossible…

Looks like ordinary door handles and locked doors.

You Lexus has switches in the door handles to release the electric door latches. Battery power is needed to open the doors, so you need to understand how to enter or exit the vehicle if the battery is dead.

The front door handles have a mechanical back-up feature to open the doors. You normally push the inside door release lever to open the door, for mechanical release: pull twice.

The outside door handle has a hidden lever to pull.

Good luck teaching your dog to open these doors.

The video was of a Ford Expedition…

Yes, the video is of a Ford but one day Bob will be surprised when his doors won’t open. Also, if he tries to rescue someone in a late model vehicle, he should be aware that some vehicles have electric door latch releases.

1 Like

Wondering the purpose of the diagram on the door handle which shows a piece of paper being lifted on the upper-left corner?

Happy the pooch got through the ordeal ok.

I guess it means that the protective plastic sheet should be removed and then remove the sign. It looks like it comes off when the plastic has been removed and the plastic is still in place.

1 Like

In both emergencyehicles we have a multi-tool including window punch and 100 feet of 3/8’s-inch polypropylene rope and ductape.
The first thing I did was open the Lexæ doors pulling on the opener instead of normally pushing the opener.

How will you remove a window if it is laminated glass?
I believe the sunroof is still safety glass.

First try the small triangular glass in the front door.
Then rear door glass.
Then sunroof glass.
Then rear window.

Must go.

If you ask me, in the video, it looked like everyone involved were trying desperately to save the dog from an interior electrical fire.

Not pausing to perform an analysis of the possible glass compositions of the vehicle.

Tester

Flagged for being NUTS.

3 Likes

Most if not all vehicles now a days have vents in them to allow the doors to close, if not you would have to slam your doors every time to tried to close them… Vehicle are not sealed… Vehicles burn all the time with the windows up, that is why the windows blow out…

2 Likes

Or some cardboard boxes or anything that will burn with some big flames. A small flame probably wouldn’t consume the oxygen fast enough before the vents let in fresh air.

If the fire is in the dash it might be getting fresh air from the cabin ventilation ducts though. If you try to start a fire in the middle of a sealed up car it will extinguish itself. Think of how long a candle will burn in a quart sized jar. Maybe 15 seconds?

So you seriously flagged my post about how to extinguish a fire that is burning inside a car and had it removed?

Isn’t it great to live in the home of the brave and the land of the free.

I will flag anything that, if followed, will kill somebody. Perhaps the stupidest post I’ve ever seen here.

1 Like

You have never used gasoline or cardboard or whatever else to start a fire before? Have you lived in an apartment your whole life? I’ve started lots of fires.

Another great reason to drive an older economy car. Need to roll down the window? No problem, that can be done at any time, whether the engine is running or not. Just turn the crank. Need to lock or unlock the door? That can also be done at any time, whether the engine is running or not. Just turn the key and/or move the lever/handle. Need to adjust the seat, open the trunk or fuel door, open the hood, etc? None of these functions require the engine to be running, or even a charged battery. Tell me again why all the overly-complex high-tech features in newer vehicles are necessary?

1 Like

My old 1993 Chevy truck has power windows, cruise control, power door locks and AC ans automatic trans, but my 2009 Vibe/Matrix only has AC, no power windows, locks or cruise and a manual trans…