So, I’ve been reading up on car batteries, because I’ve always been somewhat terrified of the things and have generally stayed away from them. I’ve known for a while now that it takes just a few dozen milliamps to severely injure/kill a person, and a car battery has several hundred amps. Thousands of times the amperage necessary to kill a person. But then again, it’s only 12v, which is barely even a tickle. And if our cars contained such a deadly, deadly thing under the hood, surely its handling would be restricted and regulated in some way to prevent silly people from doing dumb things. But it’s not, so handling a car battery must be at least somewhat safe.
So, I guess I’m wondering, why is it safe for a person to touch both terminals, but if a piece of metal does, it’ll get white-hot, weld itself to the terminals, and cause the battery to explode? Why does that much energy melt metal but not harm a person even slightly?
Thanks much for educating this person that knows FA about electricity!