Why are certain cars more reliable than others?

@GeorgeSanJose I wouldn’t worry about it at this point, unless you feel that exhaust is getting into the car.
My engine didn’t make any exhaust noises, even when it was warming up and I was looking right at the crack.
Your heat shield may be “slotted.” I was able to see the crack through one of the slots.
When I removed the old manifold, the crack was quite visible on the bench.

Couldn't a manifold with a missing heat shield be considered visually defective or visually altered?

The heat shield is NOT part of the emissions. A cosmetic modification will NOT fail inspections.

You might not hear it. Often they’re detected by a faint exhaust smell, and confirmed by carbon residue on the manifold.

Any early '90s corolla is going to have “somewhat high” unburned hydrocarbons. Unless it’s been parked since new. As long as it’s within allowable limits, it’s fine.

Sometimes you only hear the noise when you first start the car. After the exhaust manifold heats up and the metal expands, the crack can close up.

Some heat shields were part of the induction system, channeling hot air to the carburetor
That’s not a heat shield, it’s part of a heat STOVE system.

@Whitey @TwinTurbo here’s something interesting to consider. Perhaps that heat shield isn’t really that important.
Perhaps is a less than convincing argument.

I think we can all agree that we shouldn’t be talking about those darn heat shields anymore.
I don’t even have that car anymore.
@GeorgeSanJose doesn’t even know if his is cracked.
This isn’t even helping anyone anymore.

Hay, everyone, the guy who brought up cracked exhaust manifolds doesn’t think we should talk about it anymore, so SHUT UP!

Who retired and made him Pope?

LOL

Is it too late to get my name on the ballot?

@db4690, " Is it too late to get my name on the ballot? "

Get Hold Of Jay Leno ! Have You Seen His Photos Of Guest Celebrities That He’s Lined Up To Fill In For A Day Until The Position Is Filled Permanently ?

I almost fell off the couch when he showed them. I wonder if there’s a way to pull them off the web ?

CSA