‘Why Are American Drivers So Deadly?’

Too much here that is wrong to accept any of it except make a joke…

Speed doesn’t kill, its the sudden stop.

Deaths per million miles traveled has been dropping since they’ve been measuring it. Not because drivers have gotten better, because cars have.

3 Likes

lol … seriously though, you bring up a good point. All the new safety features (air bag, abs, radar, etc) may be causing drivers w/newer cars to think they can go faster and be just as safe as driving older cars going slower. The problem is the laws of physics still apply. The stationary stuff (trees, posts, pillars, railings etc) on the side of the road remains stationary, and if it is crashed into at a higher speed, often doesn’t end well.

1 Like

As I have said before a lot of people think that with all of the newer safety features it will be like the bouncy house at the fair they Will walk away.without a hurt.

3 Likes

Nice to see a little activity here anyway. In one of my safety classes, the instructor emphasized to avoid a head on at all costs. Even if you have to hit a tree. Still as I’m driving around look at where I would divert to if I had to. Most of the time, no big deal but bridges don’t give you much choice.

Your instructor told you wrong. Physics says otherwise. Cars are squishy, telephone poles and stationary barriers are solid. Better to look for an escape route that hits nothing. Or one that allows more braking distance.

3 Likes

Why is the “like” button a one-option-only button (i.e. “like”). How about a “+1” button?

So that you can like it multiple times?

If you can, do it. If you can’t avoid the head on, brake and hit them straight head on. If you try to avoid the head on and fail, as the not at fault driver trying to avoid another vehicle coming in your lane, you end up in an oblique crash like the red Accord in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD7yfe50tFs

This and how many drunks like to drive SUVs is why the drunk so often survives the crash and the not at fault driver dies.

My eyes are rolled so far back in my head that it hurts. No. That’s not it.

You want to be able to +1 or -1, or be able to like and dislike? I don’t see the difference between +1 and like.

Interestingly, in Germany , licenses are issued by the federal government and not the states.

Also, many people are not aware that in Germany if you fail the written portion of your driving test on the second attempt. You are required to have a psychiatric evaluation to be cleared to take it a third time.

Dunno know what happens on the third failed attempt, but I imagine it just gets worse.

How would you change it? To include the degree of like? +1, +2, +3 … ? Or to show negative-like? -1 … etc? A don’t-like button? This forum at one time had don’t-like button, but some posters here I think were offended or thought it led to flaming, so preferred that option be deleted. Probably for the best. If you find that a poster here continually is making nonsensical or insulting comments, it is possible (albeit not particularly easy) to block their posts entirely from your view. I don’t see a need for any change to the “like” method myself.

2 Likes

Y’all need to get out more. For one reason it’s b/c people seem to be making a lot more of an offhand comment than I meant by it. I care exceptionally little and now even less. So IDK why others care so much.

Another reason is just that these days the typical set up for the “like” button on web boards has a selection of reactions - the basic “thumbs-up” (which is where it all started) along with things like “+1,” laughing face, surprised face, yada yada. (Also “hearts” for “love” but that likely wouldn’t fit here, and leaving out negative reactions is fine). The lone thumbs up is probably a good ten years ago thing. So I’m just surprised. This platform is out of sync with the times.

FWIW, “+1” means something like “that is EXACTLY what I would say” / “ditto to that.” “Like” (thumbs up) doesn’t have to/necessarily mean that. “Like” also does not mean “laughing,” for example.

I’m just saying. The norm these days involves more “communicative” emojis on a “like bar.”

But in the end I truly don’t care. I leave it to those who do to go on about it after this.

I think this is what all the Hubbub is about with the “Like Button.”

On some web sites, when you tap the Like Button, you have a choice of what type of Emoji you want to display. Sometimes you Like what was written, sometimes you Love what was written, sometimes you think what was written was Funny, sometimes you are Surprised by what was written, sometimes what was written might make you Sad, sometimes what was written makes you Angry…

emoji

But when it all comes down to options, I think the Like Button Appearance and Options are all software controlled and the CarTalk server software may not have this option…

I really enjoyed that movie George.

1 Like

Follow up to train crossing post. Same crossing, three days later, Chevy Avalanche drives around gates, driver and passenger dead.
Video made it onto national news.
Do these people have a death wish?
Always wonder about the damage to the train and how, if any, of the cost is covered by the vehicle insurance.
I live about 3/4 of a mile from the tracks, with the windows open at my house can hear the train horns as the train approaches the crossings.

The poor judgment of a lot of drivers is very obvious. A few days ago, I was at the back of a left turn line of 4 or 5 vehicles, with a Nervous Nellie at the front of the line. Nervous Nellie didn’t make a left when she had a clear chance, and then the light turned red–with Nellie more or less in the middle of the intersection. A guy in a Ram pickup was second in that line of traffic, and he proceeded to make a left turn well after the light had turned red.

Then, a truck to my left on the intersecting road tried to make a right turn, but couldn’t negotiate the turn because of Nellie. Instead of inching-up, Nellie just sat there until the light turned green, and then she continued to sit there–until a chorus of honking horns caused her to finally make her left turn. As you can probably guess, she then proceeded to drive ~10 mph under the speed limit.

Some people simply shouldn’t be behind the wheel.

4 Likes

My wife’s aunt eventually got like that. They lived in Delaware and she drove to see her daughter in Baltimore. When she became intimidated by I-95 they used US40 where the speed limit is 55. When she was too scared to use that road she only drove around home. She eventually gave up driving completely without the family pushing her to do so.

She is probably an older woman, so her actions are somewhat understandable. The Nervous Nellie that I observed recently looked like she was probably in her 30s. If she drives like that, at that age, what will she be like as she grows older? :grimacing:

Agree 100%

Do we realy want to know.