Who was driving?

[quote]
I astounds me how people will try to excuse a reckless idiot with no common sense.

Common sense isn’t as common as it used to be.

3 Likes

If you want to ignore or disable safeguards on your own table saw and then cut your own fingers off, that’s your lookout.

If Ryobi designs your saw so that when you ignore or disable safeguards, it chases me down the street and cuts my fingers off, I’m coming for both you and Ryobi.
And no one’s excusing the reckless idiot with no common sense. I called them idiots in my very first post in this thread. But I don’t appreciate it when companies, knowing that reckless idiots exist, run marketing campaigns encouraging reckless idiocy, which is exactly what Tesla has done.

6 Likes

Opinion or fact? I haven’t seen any such marketing campaign and they’ve steadily added more safeguards over the past years in response to the idiots, so I call opinion here. I know Elon Musk rubs a lot of people the wrong way and If you don’t like Tesla, that’s fine, but base your accusations on facts.

Well, for one thing, the fact that they call it FULL self driving should be kind of self evident as to the facts I’m basing this on. If they were being honest they would call it, at most, PARTIAL self driving, but really it should be called driver assist or driver backup. Because it’s not FULL self driving. So it’s actual name is a marketing lie that encourages people to treat it as a full self driving system because that’s what it’s called.

If I sold you a “fully edible chocolate cake,” and you bought it, and what I really gave you was a rat poison cake, you’d probably be pretty annoyed, even if I put a warning label inside the box that told you not to eat it because it’s made out of rat poison. You’d be mad because I told you it was a fully edible chocolate cake by naming it “fully edible chocolate cake.” And if you ate it anyway, I guarantee the government would take issue with me regardless of whether or not you yourself were stupid to eat it.

5 Likes

Driving what and when ? And how did you determine you are the best driver ?

Not the best driver but the best diver.

Yup!
Here he is:

3 Likes

I really hope you didn’t join up just to leave that nonsense.

1 Like

Time will tell…
:thinking:

1 Like

Last summer, Elon Musk proclaimed Tesla was “very close to Level 5 autonomy”: Elon Musk Says Tesla Is 'Very Close' To Full Autonomy Which Makes Me Think He Doesn't Really Know What That Means

In the fall, he said “Full Self Driving” would be released by the end of the year. It wasn’t, and what eventually did get released (in February IIRC), wasn’t anywhere close to the full self driving (SAE Level 5 autonomy) that has been touted for years. For years he’s touted Tesla’s driver assists as more capable than they are, and he’s still totally cavalier about the consequences of his misinformation campaigns.

4 Likes

Musk is famously (notoriously?) optimistic, but how does saying “we’re close” equal encouraging reckless behavior? Any time I hear Musk (or any company) promised something, my general response is “I’ll believe it when I see it.” It’s like Ford or Toyota saying “we’re very close to achieving 120mpg” Great. Let me know when you do.

1 Like

Musk’s comments have to be taken in the context of what he’s said before - he has been outspoken about his vision of reading a book or sleeping while being chauffered by your car. To brand Tesla’s driver assistance features as “autopilot” (knowing that has a different connotation among the general public than for pilots who actually use autopilot on aircraft), and then to release its successor under the title “Full Self Driving” when it’s SAE Level 2 autonomy (same as competitors Audi and GM offer), absolutely implies that it’s more capable than it is, and it’s absolutely predictable that it would lead to the kind of misuse we’ve seen.

I’m an engineer in the automotive industry. We’re held to a much higher standard than tech, for obvious reasons - defects or misuse of our products cause injury and death rather than just annoyance. We’re expected to anticipate how our features will be misinterpreted or misused and design safeguards against them. So it’s concerning to see an automotive company leader behaving like a tech company leader - spouting hyperbole and chastising the establishment as “dinosaurs”, then deflecting (“well, they didn’t read the disclaimer”) when it goes wrong. There’s a reason our industry is conservative and measured in its approach, particularly to safety, and people like Elon Musk get a pass because they’re hip and trendy. Any establishment automotive company would have been raked over the coals for this.

5 Likes

One thing that annoys me about Musk, and it’s not really 100% his fault, is that he gets all the credit for the engineering prowess of his companies. HE did not design the Tesla, or the SpaceX rockets. He just threw a pile of money at some engineers, and THEY designed the tech.

Musk is not an automotive or aerospace engineer. He’s a rich dude with a big mouth who wants to be Tony Stark. It’s therefore entirely unsurprising to see him not behaving the way a proper engineering company executive should behave. He’d never be running an engineering company if he weren’t the one bankrolling it.

4 Likes

Exactly, though you’d think he’s been in the position long enough (and gotten his hand slapped enough by the various regulators) that he’d have developed a little more sense by now… :wink:

2 Likes

When your ego is the size of a planet, you tend to be a little slow on the social awareness front. :wink:

6 Likes

Tesla’s Smart Summon (self valet) feature might give the false impression to some people that these vehicles are self driving.

In the news today…

It appears the NTSB has reversed course on this. I still stand by my original view - if you’re dumb enough bypass the safety mechanisms for autopilot then Darwin will win. It’s your own fault and no one else’s.

A California man has been arrested for reckless driving after being caught riding in the back seat of a Model 3 with no driver. The vehicle has been impounded so he purchased a new Tesla and has returned to the same practice;

Jailed Autopilot Abuser Buys Another Tesla, Immediately Starts Riding In Back Seat (thedrive.com)