Whitey says: Do you agree with this?

Whitey says;

That fact would be that small engines warm up faster than large engines.

Why do you insist that cylinder count is the only factor that matters? Do you really not realize that a car with an I4 has a transmission with different gear ratios than one with a V6? This alone would mitigate the difference between the output of the two engines. Each engine is mated to a transmission that takes advantage of its optimal RPM range. Some engines are designed with a higher optimal RPM range and some are designed with a lower optimal RPM range. The engines with a higher optimal RPM range will pump more oil and coolant as the cylinders pump up and down to mitigate the wear of increased RPMs. It is a fact that as an engine revs faster the oil pump and coolant pump turn faster, preventing excessive wear.

whitey says thus, how many of you agree.

Elly,

We have practically a whole thread dedicated to this question. Do we really need to start another one to make this personal? If anyone disagreed with my statements, don’t you think they would have said so in the other thread?

Even if you agree with me, I would prefer you not dignify this lame thread with a response. Let’s put this one to bed. I am prepared to agree that Elly and I disagree and leave it at that. After all, this whole argument in the other thread is based on a difference of opinions.

There were some who disagreed with your opinion, but I’ll let it go, maybe we can agree on something in the furure.

I agree. Small engines have less metal mass and less coolant. All other things being equal, most important, power output being roughly proportional and efficiency, the smaller engine will warm up faster. Now, what has that to do with cylinder count, transmissions, rpm, engine wear…

not a ------- thing!

and they have less cylinders heating them up

Less coolant and metal to heat…Yada, Yada, Yada.

Put a lid on it. Every engine has it’s own characteristics that is different than others, even same cylinders, displacement, power output. Wear characteristics are also completely independent of these factors. It is a dead end argument. Let it go.

Of course all engines are different. I now realize that I have been wrong. The next 3/4 ton truck I buy I will get a super 4 cylinder. They last longer , cost less to keep up (only have 4 plugs or if a Ranger 8), and they get better milage and they heat up faster. A V8 might pull a bigger load but who wants to haul a big load anyway. And of course I will get a manual transmission. I love to shift gears.

I mostly just lurk here, but I’ve been a moderator of other forums in the past. If I was a Car Talk web lackey, I’d be seriously contemplating whether the OP is acting in a respectful manner (which is a requirement of this forum, per the disclaimer).

I am all for debate and respectfully disagreeing, but this has gone beyond that.

Sorry, Whitey, for ignoring your request.