Which thermostat to install?

Hi. I’m planning to replace the thermostat on my 1993 Toyota Camry wagon when I flush the coolant. However, there are 2 thermostats that will work: 82C +/- 2 Degrees, OR 82C +/- 4 Degrees. Does it matter? Thanks!

It might be worth the price and effort to get an OEM thermostat and gasket and not be concerned with the specifications.

82C seems a little low. Are you sure that’s the correct spec for this car?

82C does seem low, but it’s spec according to the service manual and at least 2 different online vendors. BTW, both thermostats are listed as OEM replacements…

82 degrees Celsius is equivalent to about 180 degrees Farenheit. This was the temperature rating of the thermostat I used in my 1948 Dodge. Even my 1965 Rambler used a 195 degree Farenheit thermostat.

There’s OEM replacement. And then there’s OEM. With thermostats the difference justifies the price.

Thanks for the warning! I’ll do as you suggest…

I have a 99 Cavalier for which AutoZone sold me a 180 degree thermostat. The owner’s manual verifies that this is the correct temperature.

My guess is that the low temperature is meant to compensate for the location of the thermostat. It is isolated from the engine block by a pipe 6 or 7 inches long. The thermostat is on the end of the pipe away from the engine, where it may be slightly cooler. If the OP’s Camry has a similar configuration, that may explain the apparently low temperature specification.