Where is my coolant going?

i HAVE A 2005 KIA SORENTO WITH 66000 MILES THE OTHER DAY IT GOT ABOUT A HIGH OF 0 DEGREES OUT SIDE DRIVING TO WORK AT 5AM IT WAS ABOUT -16 OUT AND NOTICED I ONLY HAD HEAT WHEN I WAS ON THE INTERSTATE WHEN I WOULD COME TO A STOP IT WOULD BLOW COLD AIR SO ON MY WAY HOME FROM WORK IT COMPLETELY SHUT DOWN PULLED TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AND WAITED 15 MIN TURNED OFF HEAT ETC. AND PROCEEDED HOME AND MADE IT ACTED FINE. HUSBAND CHECKED MY COOLANT AND WAS BONE DRY NO LEAKS UNDER CAR AND CHECKED OIL TO BE SURE IT WAS NOT LEALING INTO THEIR, OIL LOOKS PERFECT.SO WHAT COULD THIS BE PLEASE HELP!!

ALL CAPS is very hard to read. You’re reducing the likelihood of getting responses by typing this way.

If there are no external leaks there’s only one place for the coolant to go; through the engine and out the tailpipe.

I suggest you have the engine tested for signs of a leaking head gasket.

mcparadise has covered everything–from internet etiquette to the probable cause of the problem–very well. I second everything that he stated.

The only thing that I can add is–If you are the original owner, and if the powertrain warranty (100k?) is still in effect, this repair should be covered by that warranty.

You should also check your owner’s manual in regards to the replacement interval for this vehicle’s timing belt. It may be due. If the head gaskets are leaking a new timing belt will be part of the necessary repair, but check the interval anyway, because this is an “interference” engine, and if the belt breaks the engine will suffer major damage.

sorry for the caps thanks for the help