Where are these running gears made?

@WheresRick First statistical joke I’ve run into. Japan is on the metric system, so 200,000 miles is about 320,000 kilometers.

For what it’s worth, Toyota uses US and Canadian driving conditions (cold weather, lots of miles, fast driving) in their Japanese advertising to show how tough their cars are. Japanese driving conditions only put a stress on the brakes and the driver.

@docnick Your not an engineer are you? Not trying to knock you if you are, in fact if you are I envy you, Anywho, at work the engineer never gets my sense of humor, he always thinks im serious.

FWIW I read an article in a trade magazine and they did a comprehensive study on statistics. They determined that over 85% of all statistics are wrong.

@WheresRick Yes I am an engineer and a long time member of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and its regional past chairman.

Agree that many statistics are wrong because of incorrect collection or outright distortion in order to make a point. However, industrial statistics on quality control have to be close to right in order to get a quality product.

Politicians are the worst distorters of statistics. Jack Kennedy’s pitch for the Great Society was that “13 million American children go to bed hungry every night”. This was a misinterpretation (deliberate) of a nutrition study that those children’s parents were feeding them junk food, not that no money was available for good food.

A recent quote here from a council member was that our education system is so bad that 50% of students are scoring below average!!!

A public figure with a sense of humor said recently when responding to some gloomy statistic: “Statistics are like a bikinis; what they reveal is suggestive , but what they hide is vital!”

As time goes on we’ll get used to your peculiar sense of humor.

Any time an analyst starts an evaluation with outcome goals in mind, the study is biased. When probabilities are quoted, I always look at the source. If the source has more to gain by reporting unbiased results, I buy it. If not, I look for an unimpeachable source reporting on the same subject.

@docnick

I did it again, the 85% of statistics are wrong was a joke I heard, because that in itself would be a statistic… Oh nevermind, Im a lunkhead!

Docnick, I am actually honored to be able to use this amazing technology to be able to converse with someone such as yourself. Just Imagine, A redneck from Indiana talking to a former regional chairman of the SAE, probably wouldn’t have happened 30 years ago, You are among the best and the brightest Sir!

@WheresRick You are actually right in many cases! At least 85% of what Al Gore says about climate change is either inaccurate (lies) or grossly distorted to scare you and make him even richer. His book and movie are full of errors.

How odd, I wouldn’t buy a truck if it had a japanese running gear. My old Sonoma with the 2.2 Cavalier motor is nearly indestructible. I service a delivery company that uses S-10s that pile up a lot of miles. Some have over 500,000 miles doing runs from central Wisconsin down to Tennessee every day. I don’t know the repair history but they seem very happy with the cost per mile.

Our Acura was about 70% US made. Assembled in Ohio, engine US, Trans from Japan. I’ve been told Honda transmissions are the week point of the cars. You never know where anything is made anymore. Like I said my Toro snowblower that I wanted made in US or Minnesota, was made in Mexico and the Briggs engine in China. What do they know about snow in Mexico?

A lot of the so-called domestic vehicles use Japanese manufactured drivetrain components and transmissions or parts/units manufactured by a Japanese owned, U.S. located company.

Aisin and JATCO are 2 of them with many CVTs being manufactured by JATCO; with JATCO being an abbreviation for Japan Automatic Transmission Company.

“Jack Kennedy’s pitch for the Great Society was that ‘13 million American children go to bed hungry every night’. This was a misinterpretation (deliberate) of a nutrition study that those children’s parents were feeding them junk food, not that no money was available for good food.”

Nope!
That was LBJ, not JFK.

In any event, while I can’t locate any reliable stats on hunger in The US, circa the '60s, here is something from about 2 years ago, regarding hunger in The US: