When to stop putting money into used car

I have 2001 Forrester with 105k miles. Trouble free until this year where I have spent $2500 on clutch and AWD repair. On bringing car in for timing belt and AC not working I was told there is oil on sparkplugs and other areas. Will have to remove engine to repair at cost of $3100, including timing belt. Is it time to get rid of car?

I say it’s time to repair the car and drive it another 105K miles.

I’d get another opinion, and another estimate, before authorizing the work. You could almost rebuild the entire engine for $3,100.

What do they claim is the cause of oil on the spark plugs? What part of the spark plug has oil on it? Are you taking this to a dealer or an independent mechanic?

Is this a dealer? Have you checked if an independent Subaru mechanic would do it for less?

I think you are going to find that most of us will suggest keeping your car, but make sure you are getting the best and most cost effective maintenance and repair. It is almost always the cheapest way to go.  

As already noted, you may want to get a second opinion and estimate for the work that needs to be done.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

However, [b] if the new car bug is biting and you can afford it, then sure get a new car [/b] , you don't need our approval  :-)

I am using an independent repair shop and was told that the oil leakage is from the engine gaskets on both sides of the engine. I looked at it while car up and hoist and saw oil all over. I was told that to replace the gaskets the engine needs to be removed. Also the price includes timing belt and water pump replacement.