When to get rid of a car?

A guy I worked with back in the 80’s - his wife was a real estate agent for ONE MONTH. She was in the office and this old disheveled African American man came in looking to buy some land for his new church. So they assigned him to my friends wife thinking that this was going to be a very low commission sale. After 2 weeks she found him the property he wanted. A nice 15 acre parcel in the White Mountains for a price of a little over $20,000,000.00. Her commission was over $1,000,000.00, so she retired.

3 Likes

I may get rid of my Buick sooner than I planned! I drove about 180 miles today. The trans has occasionally slipped between gears and then subsequently hard shifted ever since I got the car at 52k miles. I attributed it to the “governer pressure sensor” that I’ve done a bit of research on and seems to be a common issue. Trouble is, I believe the trans has to be removed to replace it, so I never did. But today, it began slipping in first when leaving from a stop, accompanied with a “rumble strip” shudder before slamming into gear. So, I assume the trans and/or torque converter is not long for this world. 168k miles. I may change trans fluid again, or I may not. I doubt it would matter. So, I’m going to keep driving it to work until it dies. I hope it dies close to work since I work at a scrapyard. Maybe I can limp it along another 32k and hit my 200k target! We will see. Usually, the slip and hard shift would subside after turning the ignition off and restarting the car, but no such luck this PM. So I’m thinking the prognosis is not good :grimacing:

Better be driving a new Ford if you are calling on them. Same for GM and Chrysler. You don’t want to take a Ford guy out to lunch in a Buick. Better rent a Ford for that!

Here’s something odd.

The guy in our company who called on the Asian manufacturers was given a Toyta, but we had a Nissan as a spare car. He used the Toyota when he called on Kia and Hyundai

3 Likes

Kia and Hyundai both had Toyota as their competitive target for every model. That is from a friend who formerly was Hyundai’s chassis development manager in California.

The Ford and GM guys I called on in my BMW development mule, didn’t complain either!

That CEO is almost certainly riding in the back of a limousine purchased by the company.

Here’s a funny silicon valley story, really happened: The CEO – known for having a cranky and erratic disposition – arrives at the office in a limo, instructs his driver to park the limo in the only place near to the entrance, a handicap spot. A handicapped employee arrives later, notices there’s no place for him to park. But he does see the limo illegally parked. The employee calls the cops and has the limo towed … lol … CEO later finds out his limo is gone, face really, really red … but can’t do anything about it b/c the complaining employee is disabled … lol …

1 Like

I don’t know why you think that’s “funny” . . .

If I needed a disabled parking spot, I wouldn’t think it’s funny to see a vehicle without the proper handicapped plates or even a placard hanging from the window parking in the parking spot that I need

I wouldn’t waste time thinking that the car might belong to somebody important

I see this constantly at banks. People illegally park in the handicapped spots, because they’re closest to the stores. Then they walk into the bank and take their sweet time going about their business. Then somebody who is truly disabled shows up, can’t park in the handicapped spot, and is forced to literally hobble all the way from the furthest possible parking spot all the way to the bank entrance. And by that time they’re justifiably in a bad mood

I hope to one day see a confrontation between a disabled person and the person who illegally parked in the spot . . . I’d like to hear just what lame excuse the person has, the one who illegally took the spot

4 Likes

I don’t know if it is still that way but one place I lived in Fla.the store or shopping center could & would hire handicapped to patrol the handicapped parking area & they could legal’y write ticket’s that would stand up in the court’s From what I see that would be a good thing for every were in the country.

4 Likes

I agree with DB , Not Funny at all . But it does seem that you have a story about every subject that appears here.

You don’t find it a humorous situation that an employee of a major tech firm purposely caused the high-strung personality CEO’s limo to be towed, and yet the CEO could do nothing about it?

I don’t think it’s funny that the ceo deprived a handicapped person the parking space he needed

1 Like

I doubt anybody would find that funny. But that wasn’t the point of the story.

I got the feeling you thought it was funny . . .

For me, that was the point of the story

Why didn’t the driver find an appropriate parking spot after dropping off the passenger? This sounds like folklore.

I am always amazed by your ability to tie posters and posts together. Do you have a super recollection, or some search function I am not aware of?

1 Like

Some people say it is good to sell card when it still have some value so you can reinvest it into new car.

The cars I have traded have had little reinvestment value, would have been better investing in storage. 61 olds dynamic 88, 68 plymouth fury wagon(my dad’s) 71 and 72 nova, 68 cougar, 72 f100, Nova and f100 traded in on a 93 toyota pickup, 03 ranger, a couple of voyagers, now got the trailblazer and 17 rav4.

I kept my Nissan 2001 (bought as a 2 year pre-own) for 16 years. On Labor day weekend, a Dodge Ram Truck killed her. Drover her home from NJ to NY all local roads so the hood would not fly up. Thought I could “fix her” if it was just BODY DAMAGE. But next day, liquid. LOTS of liquid…the radiator. the guy at the Geico express said, even if it was a scratch, Geico would total the car. But not only are you looking at Body Damage, but a new radiator, and who knows what else.

Bought a 2 year HONDA ACCORD with 27,000 mi. Gorgeous car. I pray to keep her at least a decade or 2.

So in US people realy drive a car for 1972? I always think you only have it as part of collection.