When Is a Motor Too Big?

Either that, or the truck carrying it is really, really small.
:smiley:

It looks like a 40,000 HP marine diesel. Could be a Sultzer, a German Mann or a Danish B&W. The injectors on those babies look like large whisky bottles. A single cylinder head costs $70,000US.

A tanker or container ship would have such an engine.

It ain’t too big if you plan on building a cruise ship

I’ve always wondered how they get those things through the doors of ships.

Build the ship around the engine, I suppose.

Shipyards have massive cranes. The engine would be lifted up by overhead cranes and lowered in the engine room of the ship before the top superstructure was put in place.

The bottom structure of the ship has to support the engine so that part at last would be finished.

Those container ships (and most others) are now built in huge sections, then assembled with those big cranes. So the engine would go in pretty early.

A long while back I read a piece on that huge engine . . I think it has a V8 truck engine ( or similar ) on it . .as a STARTER !

Could be the SR-71.

Stuffing a giant engine into a tiny car is one of cardom’s oldest ways of going faster. Diesel-engine manufacturer Cummins took things to the extreme by grafting a QSK78 engine onto an original Austin Mini. There wasn’t really much stuffing involved, since the big, red mill just hangs out in the new engine “bay” in back. But we admire the effort and the mid-enginedness.

@“ken green” They don’t need a starter. They have solenoid activated valves so they just open an intake and squirt in a little Naval distillate or diesel and spark it off.

That image I posted is of the 6 cylinder variant of the WÀrtsilÀ RT-flex96C.
I edited in a better photo.
The biggest 14 cylinder version puts out 109,000 horsepower.

^Yeah, that’s totally too big to help you cheat at the Tour de France!

@circuitsmith Thanks for the update. I had not thought of Wartsila, and the largest engine I’ve dealt with so far in fleet management had “only” 60,000 HP.

True Joe, but it’s perfect for the Tour de Atlantic! :smiley:

@Docnick 6 / 14 * 109 = ~47,000 HP, so the 6 cylinder one could have been in your range.
I guess weight wasn’t much of a concern in their design since they double as ballast.

When you’re in the middle of the Atlantic, robustness is more important than weight!

These engines are very low speed, about 100 Rpm; the inertia precludes higher speeds.

They are extremely reliable and can run on any number of cylinders. The fuel is normally pre-heated bunker or other heavy residual oil that sells at cut rate prices. Tightening environmental rules are gradually phasing out this dirty fuel.

These things emit as much pollution as several thousand new autos and trucks.

Carnival Cruise Lines stopped visiting Baltimore for about a year and a half because new rules outlawed using bunker fuel oil within US waters. In many cases, the solution was to use two fuel supplies: one that is clean enough to operate inside US waters and the other (bunker fuel oil) for the open ocean. Since Baltimore is so far inland and accessed on a long route up the Chesapeake Bay, Carnival decided to leave. It was decided later to refit the Pride with enhanced pollution controls durng ship repairs and the Pride uses Blatimore as its home port again.