When does your "new car" become your "old car"?

When (at what age) do you think of, and refer to, your car as “your OLD car”?

1. Its first dent.

2. Your first $500 repair bill.

3. The wife announces she is expecting twins.

4. “I shoulda bought that one instead.”

5. Consumers Reports announces a worse-than-average repair record.

6. Your neighbor brings home his new Jaguar.

7. You’re taking the bus while the dealer is trying to figure out the no-start problem.

8. MikeInNH posts “You bought a WHAT?!”

After you purchase a replacement car. I never refer to my current car as my old car.

After about 30 years (maybe), my 25 year old car is my new car.

Agree; if you like your car and it gives you the service you expect, it’s never old until you get rid of it. Of all the cars I’ve had, the disposal age was 14, 18, 13, 10(accident write-off), 8 (gave to mother-in-law), 21, 12, 19. At no time was any of the cars less reliable than my colleagues much newer cars. Once, camping in the mid eighties in Washington state I was parked besides a retired Boeing employee who had an immaculate 1958 Mercedes 300?, with red leather inerior. The car attracted wide attention, much, more than the $50,000+ motor homes and fully loaded pickups.

It’s guaranteed to be a new car for 50/50. 50 seconds or 50 feet, whichever comes first. If you bought a model that hasn’t been remodeled in five years, you’ll always have people asking what year it is. If you buy a first year remodel, it will be the new Whatnot for a couple of years.

If it’s a '58 300SL, it’s worth a small fortune (a lot more than $50K). This is my favorite late 50s benz, this one is for sale at a local dealer:

http://www.valleymotorsco.com/detail.cfm?ID=228653

No, this one was a black, long wheelbase sedan, at that time the equivalent of a Cadillac in Germany, and it had a straight 6 engine. A real classy barge! The most well-known person to drive a 300SL of that vintage was the late Canadian prime minister Trudeau. He drove it until he died.

I think you are talking about a '58 300D (not diesel).

As soon as it’s driven off the dealer’s lot.

Tester

Yes, that was the model. It had vanity plates that said Ilvmy58 or somthing. It was not a diesel; he towed a small camper wwith it. A lifetime of working in aerospace where quality and reliability is key would make one want to own something special.

Same here.

When I wish I had the next one. This usually takes about 6 to 8 years.

I still think of any car model that is 1946 or newer as a new car. Old cars are prewar models made before 1942. When I was a kid, the well-to-do people in my neighborhood had cars made after WW II. Those of us less affluent, including my parents, had pre-war cars. Manufacturing of new cars ceased in February of 1942 and didn’t resume until late 1945 with the 1946 models. Hence, there was a 4 year gap with no civilian car production. Since I am in my mid-sixties, I guess I am a pre-war model. This makes all post WWII cars seem new to me.

although the picture of the '58 caddy got my mind moving… i think the new one becomes the old one when… i can actually afford the one that catches my eye NOW.

that doesn’t happen often, and usually is accompanied by a swift wallop by the better half (thus bringing me back to reality)

My new car stays my new car until I buy something newer. My “old” car is the one that has just been sold or retired. For example, my new car is a 2006 Honda Accord, my old car was a 1989 Maxima. There may be some years in there where it’s just “my car” and neither new nor old. It’s not my old car until it’s gone.

Technically, my old car is my new car.
I bought the Civic first, then got the Chevelle, which made the Civic my old car…

If you drive a Ferrarri, the answer is “as soon as Ferrarri comes out with a replacement model”. Once you’re on their purchaser list, they automatically put you on the new waiting list when they release a replacement to you model you own.