When did you last use a compression gauge?

I used all OEM, push rod and rocker damage caused by the spark plugs being cross wired.

Seems to me I recall the pushrods on some 318s being a weak point, as in it wasn’t unusual to see one bent. It’s been decades but I think I remember a Dart with a 318 that jumped a chain and bent a pushrod instead of bending a valve.

Yeah I have pulled a few bent pushrods after jumping time and not bending the valves on other LA small blocks, but no issues with the valve train running 6K rpms all day long, as long as you are running the correct springs… And I did not float the valves hitting a piston, The rocker just finally gave up the ghost lol…

True, not used to set timing for new cars. But I set the ignition timing as part of a tune-up on my older Corolla just last month using a timing light. And did the same for my truck a year or two ago. Both vehicles, adjustment is simple enough, I just twist the distributor a little to set the timing.

Reminds me of recent podcast puzzler. Ray is asked to tune up a vehicle, not realizing it is a boat. Before Ray is told it is a boat, Ray asks if the vehicle has electronic ignition? Owner says “no, electronic ignition wouldn’t be a good idea for this vehicle.” Presumably b/c electronic ignition fails, the motor won’t run at all, and no way to get it to run out in the middle of a lake or ocean, which would make for a dangerous situation. Points/distributor ignition can fail, yes, but often can be repaired with only some hand tools.

Yes we’d always made sure there were a set of oars in the boat when taking it out. Just lake duty not ocean tours. Many times had to replace the shear pin after hitting some weeds but never worked on points. Extra pins taped to the tiller. I doubt anything after 1990 had points.

1 Like