When a person gets a dui does it indicates they are likely to be irresponsible in the future?

The solution is tougher laws and mandatory jail time (at least 6 months)for your first offense.

By your 3rd dui you probably ought to be looking at 10 years in jail.

Experimental Aircraft are experimental, obviously.

They do not carry the same certifications that are earned by proven safety records of general aviation aircraft.

I could be wrong (what are the chances of that, eh?), but I believe that any aircraft that is designated “experimental” is allowed to be piloted by one individual and cannot carry passengers.

If that is correct (as I’ve always understood it) then why would that be?

I also have always believed that experimental aircraft have more crashes than certified general aviation machines.

Also, many people who build an aircraft are not extremely accomplished pilots, but rather have limited flying experience.

When an experimental aircraft goes down, my first instinct is to suspect the aircraft.

This speculation is based on my several year work experience at a fixed base airplane operation and from flight training I received and hours in the log book.

I might go for a spin in an experimental car or boat, but you wouldn’t get me in an experimental aircraft.
CSA

Depends on the individual certificate which will vary based on the plane, but the general rule is that you’re not allowed to carry passengers for hire. Wanna bring your friend along for that $100 hamburger, that’s fine, as long as he doesn’t pay you for the privilege.

That’s such a broad range of aircraft I’m surprised you would exclude all of them. It comes down to the builder/owner/pilot for me. I have no qualms about flying in an experimental as long as I trust the person that maintains and flies it. That being said, there is one notable exception. I was offered a ride on this ultralight once. Basically a long tube with two plastic bucket seats at the front and a glorified weed whacker pushing from behind
no thanks! Been on quite a few ultralights and smaller single engine experimental planes. My brother owns an RV-6A. You’d be hard pressed to find a safer pilot/plane to ride in

Just be patient. The investigators will weed this one out quickly.

Along the lines of what asemaster talked about, in my younger days I got pretty cranked up with liquor and quite often.
The last couple of times I can say that I was flat intoxicated was back in the mid 80s; once at a benefit to raise money for a friend who needed major heart work and the other at my last visit to the motorcycle rally in Sturgis, SD.
In both of those cases I hit the Tequila and that stuff gets me 10 feet tall and bulletproof.

So in 30ish or so years I’ve never been intoxicated again although I still drink a few beers or a couple of glasses of wine now and then. That’s not done to develop any kind of a buzz; it’s to try and settle the pain from serious back issues down a little bit so I can sleep.

So based on my history I don’t think that past instances of intoxication necessarily means that I’m guilty of it today.

1 Like

'round these parts, When someone gets a dui, it does NOT spur them to stop . . but only to attempt a different means so as to not get caught.
Like so many busts for other things the truth is ;
They’re not sorry they did it . . they’re sorry the got caught !

I’m with @ok4450 and @asemaster

Years ago, I used to party until the wee hours and get sloshed, but good

I never hit anybody, never wrecked my car, never got a dui. But I that doesn’t change the fact that I shouldn’t have driven myself home. I drove home drunk so many times, I couldn’t even count it on both of my hands

As I said, it’s been YEARS ago, and I don’t even finish a 6-pack in a month’s time

I guess that makes me EXTREMELY likely to cause a dui accident and kill a bunch of people :radioactive:

Lock me up right now, before I hurt anybody

Because according to Rick, if somebody messed up in the past, then statistically, they’ll keep messing up for the rest of their lives

:sos:

Back in the old days a guy with whom I ran around a lot with would often go out with me and get liquored up pretty badly so to speak. He even naively started dabbling short term in some hard drugs; a habit which I managed to help him kick very quickly. He’s a great guy and quite often he ended up passed out in the passenger seat while I was driving home.

Back in the mid 70s he met this girl, fell in love, and even though there was no pressure from her he just said he wasn’t touching another drop of alcohol. He’s been strictly on the wagon ever since then.
So he doesn’t fit the mold of repeat offender either.

There’s a hilarious story about this guy one night when a state trooper stopped us and jail was a 100% certainty.

You are taking personally and looking at it emotionally instead of logically.

There are plenty of guys in prison our age that were in there since there 20s that didn’t intend on killing or hurting someone. They might have made a youthful indiscretion and robbed someone and the gun went off and they hurt someone killed someone and they are in prison for 30 years. Many of these folks wised up and are completely different people, however when they get out they will be looked at with their past behavior in mind always.

When someone is convicted of a felony they are no longer able to posses a firearm legally. If they serve their time and are a changed person has no effect on that. Its because of logic and statistics, not because they are a bad person.

The alcoholic balloon operator has shown a pattern of being convicted of breaking laws due to extremely irresponsible behavior over 20 years. As soon as he had a wreck, even if alcohol or drugs had no bearing on the incident, he will have suspicion cast upon him until proven innocent.

Sorry Rick, but this is the result of special interest groups not logic and statistics. That’s why if you are a vet and get treated for PTSD you are no longer qualified. Or if you need help processing your Social Security payments. Or if you were involved in a domestic dispute for some reason or circumstance, and the list is getting longer, not due to logic at all. Forget pheasant hunting under any of these circumstances.

1 Like

I actually figure you are extremely unlikely to drive drunk now. I seem to remember that you have a good job that you would probably loose if you lost your license. I am in the same boat.

I’m no saint, back in my younger days I would get all hopped up on Goofballs sometimes. I would never do this now because it would be putting my livelihood at risk due to drug testing. I would sure like to pop a few of them right now so I could have some energy for a change.

Its amazing when there are severe repercussions to our actions how our behaviors change.

I’m extremely unlikely to drive drunk nowadays, as you said

It took me years to get this job, and I’m not about to jeopardize it now

I could probably count the number of beers I consume in one year . . . on both hands

And I don’t do wine or hard liquor, anyways

Not any time in the recent past, FWIW

I don’t even do any kind of prescription medication, for fear it would show up during a random drug test, and it might raise a few questions

speaking of prescription medications, at least one of the guys at work takes POWERFUL pain pills, and I know that some of them can really impair you. When he mentions it, I just listen and have no comments.

Let me get this straight. You’ve been insisting that people who have a DWI are likely to do it again. Now you admit that you blasted yourself on barbituates when you were younger, and you acknowledge that @db4690 drove drunk without getting caught, and you say neither of you are likely to drive impaired today.

The only reasonable conclusion is that you think the act of getting caught is the only thing that causes repeat-drunk-driving behavior. If DB had gotten caught, then he’d be very likely to drive drunk again whereas we’re all fortunate that he did not get caught because this means he’ll never do it again?

Are you seeing why we’re all questioning your logic? DB isn’t going to drive drunk again because he’s grown up since then and is a responsible member of society, not because he didn’t get caught. I think you really need to sit down and think very carefully about the things you think you believe before you tell the world about them, because at least with this topic, they don’t make any sense and have needlessly insulted people who did not deserve it.

2 Likes

:checkered_flag:

I read it all. When I started on his first posting, I thought Rick was out of balance. By the bottom, I tend to agree with him.Those DUI convictions were not in his 20’s, but not that long ago. He did NOT change his behavior as he matured, as the rest of you did.

Also, the same disregard that made him have DUI into his 40’s, may well have contributed to his poor operating practices. This was not Christopher Reeves.

One of my favorite sayings is: Leopards do not change their spots.

1 Like

Actually, I believe the news reports said four DUIs.
That said, until an autopsy is conducted, there is no proof that he was even slightly impaired. For all we know, he had been dry for some time. The craft may have suffered a mechanical failure, like a broken control cable, that caused it to go out of control in a manner that couldn’t be compensated.
I know that balloon pilots prefer early flights because of less chance of wind gusts and up- or down-drafts, but those are also possibilities for the tragedy.
The investigation will ultimately explain the incident, no matter what we all speculate.

1 Like

At any rate, I have had no desire to go up in a balloon. I prefer things with motors in them. But yeah, wind gusts, currents off the warm ground, changes in terrain, etc. who knows what happened to cause him to hit the power line. The weather has been kind of bazaar down there. Maybe equipment, maybe just inexperience. I remember Bruce Williams saying he quit flying because you just had to do it all the time to stay competent.

1 Like

I got hopped up on goofballs which around here are pep pills. They speed you up, Its an amphetamine like they used to give fighter pilots in ww2 to keep them sharp, they actual help your reaction time. I took them to stay up all night, I admit I have driven a dirt bike while amped up on these

Not saying it was right, but we would ride around our county back roads like a bat out of hell. At Night. One night we were out and I had been up since 6am and it was 1am the next day and we stopped on a road to take a break, I remarked that I was tired and one of the guys in our group told me if i was tired it was my own fault, I asked what he meant and he introduced me to the wonderful world of Pep pills. We rode a few more hours to get back and I felt like I was so aware to what was going on it wasn’t even funny. No keep in mind were talking rural gravel and dirt roads.

The fact that DB didn’t get caught means nothing, he made the comment that I think he should be thrown in jail now for his past offenses. This is not true, he got away with it, so the past is the past.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-09/balloon-pilot-who-killed-16-was-on-drugs-and-had-five-dwi-raps

Well it was worse than I ever imagined, this guy was really hopped up.

The FAA weather hotline even was recorded telling him not to fly, but in typical alcoholic fashion he said it was ok, he would fly around the clouds.

One dui may not indicate that a person will be irresponsible in the future. There is a good chance that the offender will have to attend alcohol classes and the cost of the ticket may “scare them straight”.

But two dui’s I’d say is a sure indicator of general irresponsibility probably for the rest of their life.