Wheel Shakes When Braking

One more idea to entertain for the “shake” problem.
What if wheel bearing[s] are worn and have excessive play/lash?

I’ve dealt with issues on rear bearings before. I’m not experienced enough to know acceptable tolerance on front bearings. Wouldn’t there be extra play in general just from sitting on a ball joint? What’s a good way to check? Not hearing any “bad bearing” sounds yet.

Sorry, as DIY-er I would not know the scientific method to properly test for the tolerance.
I would definitely know if the noticeable wobble develops, the one detectable by forcing the wheel itself.

My 2005 Toyota 4runner had one flaw. Poorly designed brake calipers. For the 9 years I owned that vehicle I replaced the calipers at least 6 times. I lost count.

The calipers had 4 pistons (2 on each side of the rotor). What would happen is one or sometimes 2 of the pistons would stick and this caused an uneven braking situation. It felt exactly like a warped rotor. I replace the caliper and the vibration during braking went away.

A few other suggestions. Did you clean the rotors before installation? Some have a rust preventative substance on them that must come off. Sometimes this cannot be seen and at times it can. It may resemble Cosmoline.

Looseness in a suspension or steering component.

Something I have run into. If the brakes are done and there are zero problems what can happen is that a rotor may develop a few thousandths of an inch warp soon afterwards because of a worn steering or suspension component.
Normally that couple of thousandths will go unnoticed but if there is a worn steering or suspension component that couple of thousandths may become magnified and come across as worse than it actually is. Just some food for thought.

1 Like

Rotors. How many were changed? Rear rotors can cause shaking too. The worst looking rotor is often the culprit.

Changed front two then back two a couple weeks later. I was hoping replacing the rotors would help reduce the wheel shake when braking, no such luck.

Starting to think it might be something with the suspension or steering.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Sorry for the late reply. It was the rotors. Did 4 pads and rotors replacement and braking is buttery smooth. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

glad to hear your brakes are in good shape again

:+1:

Thanks for update. What brand pads and rotors did you use for the fix?

I bought a PowerStop brake and rotor kit off RockAuto. Obviously more expensive than the Duralast rotors but definitely worth it considering it took those exactly 0 miles to warp. This set of pads has lasted easily twice as long already and there’s 5-6mm still left on the front pads.