Wheel Bearings

Hi!

Just discovered your great show!

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser which had a rock (gravel) in the tire about a year ago. The mechanic I was using knew about it but didn’t think it important enough to anything about it…

Since then I moved and have a new mechanic. I have been hearing a noise as if a small aircraft is landing on my car. My new mechanic says it’s a wheel bearing but can’t tell which front wheel it’s coming from He said to wait until the noise gets louder because he doesn’t want to replace it on both wheels (neither do I!). Is his approach the only one? What advice can you give me? Also, could the rock in the tire have caused this? I’d really appreciate your advice.

Thanks for the laughs and the info on Car Talk!

Sincerely,

Judith Ann

A way to tell which side has the bad bearing is to listen closely as you go through a slight right hand and then a left hand curve on a freeway or fast highway. If the bearing noise is louder on the right curve, it is the left wheel bearing that is suspect. If the bearing noise is louder on the left curve, it is the right wheel bearing that is suspect.

Hope this helps.

Researcher is right on about that.

It is also the case that any experienced mechanic should be able to figure this out by raising the car, spinning the wheels and listening and feeling. This kind of thing is not always foolproof, though. So it may be that your mechanic tried this and didn’t come up with anything. But you might want a 2nd opinion.

The first two posters are correct and gravel in the tire has nothing to do with it.

Thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate it.