Wheel Alignment

Is it necessary to have the wheels aligned on a vehicle if there is no excessive tire wear, no pulling and no vibration or shimmy?

How old is the car?

While I’m a believer that on a fairly new vehicle the tire wear is the best indicator of whether an alignment is needed, I also think on an older car that’s never had one it’s a good preventative maintenance idea. It also gives someone an opportunity to find any chassis problems that aren’t obvious and fix them before they become obvious.

Thanks for the quick response. It is a 2006 Toyota Tacoma Truck & the tires have approximately 55,000 miles and at least 2 new tires are needed now.

Others may disagree, and I understand where they’re coming from, but I honestly don’t see the need for one. The truck has a solid rear axle and robust double A-frame front suspension. Unless it’s used severely it’s a really robust platform.

Besides, the only real adjustment usually done on these is toe in. Caster and camber angles are done by shimming the top A-frame mounting points, something not usually needed. It’s a pretty solid design.

When I get new tires is when I have an alignment done at minimum.