What's Wrong Car RPMS drop at High Speeds

If it were the fuel system you’d have trouble accelerating, not slowing down.

And if it were the transmission the Check Engine light would come on with one or more of these codes.

https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/transmission-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtc/

Tester

Care to explain why? I’m just curious

The transmission, once you’re rolling along in high gear, will to a slight extent, pull the engine with it on a closed throttle deceleration. This effect will be magnified if you were to manually downshift the transmission into an intermediate gear prior to deceleration. One test id run on this transmission would be to hook up a transmission oil pressure gauge to the transmission line pressure port and compare the reading to the specs for closed throttle deceleration. As to why i jumped right to transmission, I’m a glass half-empty kind of guy, i always assume the worst first.

If it’s been running with oil low enough to affect engine power you might be looking at engine replacement.

3 Likes

Well we’ll see but the oil definitely was below the line. Not by much and I felt a difference for sure

Not a big deal. My owner’s manual actually says "If the oil is below the cross-hatched
area at the tip of the dipstick, add 1 L (1 qt) of the recommended oil and then recheck the level."

I don’t have an iac valve

There is no IAC valve for my car

Okay.

I’m done.

Tester

1 Like

The reason tester left is because of your argumentative attitude twoard people who are trying to help you. Every 2004 Toyota Tacoma sold in the US has an Idle air control valve and he showed you a picture of one. If you are not in the USm that is important info you omitted and I am done too.

4 Likes

Where was I being Argumentative? My engine is 2uz- fe V8 those don’t have IAC valves. They discontinued use of IAC its electrically controlled.

It has a “Drive By Wire” TB so its all electronically controlled by sensors and the computer

The V6 models do have them which is what I believe the picture Tester put up is from.

All of the places I look show the 2004 Toyota Tacoma having either a 4 cylinder or V6 . So either you have a rare 2004 or it has had an engine transplant .

I think it is time for you to put this in a shop and find out what is wrong . There are times when this forum can’t help and this seems to one of them .

2 Likes

I meant to say Tundra not Tacoma.

Before he deleted it, the OP replied to you with… “That’s because I have a Tundra”–even though his original post stated that he has a Tacoma.

I’m starting to think that this whole thing might be an exercise in trolling.
:thinking:

Well then all this confusion is your fault .

2 Likes

Ok it’s my fault.

So since I missed up the model of the car I don’t deserve help?

You can’t help someone when they supply misinformation.

Tester

2 Likes

Even once the information is corrected?

Is it still misinformation when it’s corrected?

This is how you treat people who make an honest mistake and take responsibility for it?

You even selected “Tacoma” from the drop-down menu when you originated the thread.
When someone doesn’t seem to know what he is driving, others will begin to suspect an exercise in trolling.

What do you mean by trolling?

Nobody would be that specific about a problem to troll. You’re exaggerating things.