What's the prettiest name for an automobile?

A cousin has both a TR3 and a TR7. She drives both for fun when not raining or too cold and often takes one or the other to car cruises.

Her favorite is the TR3. Her dad, who ran his own body shop for a living, took it in trade about 50 or 60 years ago. It had been used as a race car. My cousin finally put an oversized radiator in it because it chronically overheated in Oklahoma summers.

How do you know that the folks at Studebaker actually named their car after a bird?
After all, the word “lark” also means…something done for fun, especially something mischievous or daring; an amusing adventure or escapade
:thinking:

Mustang get’s my vote. I never owned one and always thought they were too small. But I like the name.

I’ve always thought that Coupe DeVille was a very nice sounding car name, and Skylark brings to mind a nice image. But as far as the “prettiest” name? Maybe Fairlady?

Well, there was also the Nissan Cherry!
:smirk:

I’ve always liked Volkswagen’s “Thing.”

Very creative, as in, What the h _ _ _ are we going to call that thing?"

That name gives people a chance to conjure up whatever image they choose, hopefully one that doesn’t picture the actual vehicle. :smile:
CSA

1 Like

How about the ford convertable’s in the mid to late 50’s called sunliner or starliner if I remember right the sunliner was a soft top & the starliner was the retractible hard top.

Studebaker made a model called the Dictator, in the 30’s, along with Commander and President. Not such a swell name.

I did own a Triumph Spitfire, and it was fun to drive. It also felt and truly was pretty fragile, and it did not spit fire. I think it was a 1200 cc engine, not too much power in 1968.

I think Corvair sounded elegant. Falcon, not so much. It was the wrong name for an economy sedan. How about the Hillman Minx. Minx sounds like it’s small, sort of sexy and sophisticated and graceful. The real car was small, but that’s all it was.

1 Like

Haven’t been in any car other than my 30yo pickup in the last 20 years. I don’t think I’ve seen one, but I wouldn’t have noticed such a dull-looking car if I had, the same as the others you mention.

Doesn’t it need a windshield?

‘Avanti’ is a beautiful name. They looked great too.

In one of the classic car magazines that I read, they profiled cars that had chronic overheating problems

And one of the solutions was putting in more efficient radiators . . . physically the same size, but more rows of coolant passages . . . in addition to electric cooling fans

I don’t think that name would pass the “pc police” in this country :smirk_cat:

The retractable hard top convertable was the Fairlane. A friend has her parents’ restored red 1957 Ford Fairlane in beautiful condition.

Her son has her brother’s restored red 1969 Mach 1 Mustang.

I enjoyed rides in both their cars as a kid. :grinning:

1 Like

Renegade, you are correct. I looked up further info. The Fairlane had various sub-categories including those you cite. I stand somewhat corrected. Always nice to learn something new. :grinning:

Marnet
…still reading, still learning!

1 Like

Paid for. No loan.

1 Like

Well, it was the Fairlane Skyliner:

I always thought Nellie Belle was a pretty name for a Jeep. Of course you youngsters under 60 wouldn’t remember.

1 Like

You may be right about the younguns under 60 but I remember Pat Brady & Nellie Belle do you remeber a plane named the song bird?

I remember Sky King but don’t remember the name of his plane. He did get a new plane though after a year or two and I remember the Chysler station wagon he drove. My memory is selective though and sometimes I just make up a memory as I see fit.

1 Like

Being…let’s just say…over 60, I definitely remember Pat Brady’s Jeep, Nellie Belle.
I also recall that the show portrayed that vehicle as being incredibly unreliable, and prone to breakdown…on a very frequent basis.

Who knew at the time that the Roy Rogers program would have been the source of such accurate automotive information!
:grin:

Both planes were named “Songbird”.
As to his vehicle, I am pretty sure that it was a Desoto wagon.