What's the point of "manual" automatic trannys?

Absolutely! Electronically controlled automatics can become manual shifter automatics with 2 buttons, shift UP and shift DOWN and a selector switch for the manual mode. Then its is just software.

“Manual” transmissions used in racing are typically dog-ring clutchless models much like a modern motorcycle. The shift lever is wired with strain gauges to trigger an ignition and/or fuel cut-out on upshifts and rpm-boost on downshift so you don’t have to lift off the gas.Some street cars have adopted similar features like the 370Z

I was at a Nissan dealership today and took a peek at the new GTR as well as the 370Z. I like the Z, always have, but IMHO the GTR is too extreme, overdone. As is the six-figure price!

Lesser models in many cars come with paddles, but they’re just automatics with a different shifting system. They’re okay, and if they put a smile on an owner’s face than they’re a good thing, but they’re not my “cup of tea”. But, than, I’m not young anymore. Perhaps I’m just too old to appreciate such garnishments. :older_man:

Fox-Body Mustangs are HUGELY popular racers.

2 Likes

Frankly, I don’t much care for F1, and the “high price of entry” aspect. I’d rather see a racing event where the best driver wins, not the best engineer. F1 is too tech-heavy.

Heck, just not much of a fan of TV motorsports altogether. Sooner head out to the dirt track or drag strip and watch the “local heroes” figure out the best way to take a SBC out of the junkyard and win races with it…

2 Likes

That’s what I said, you downshift before the turn, and maintain high RPMs.
You can maintain throttle while controlling what gear you are in, INDEP. of the throttle, Sherlock.
See a hill coming? But don’t want to FLOOR IT? DOWNSHIFT. Auto tranny can’t do that.
See a turn coming? But don’t want to FLOOR IT? DOWNSHIFT. Auto tranny can’t do that.
That is why sports cars have manual shifters and paddle shifters.

What kind of a fool thinks they can FLOOR the pedal into a turn to keep RPMs high? That is not how racing works.
Anyone who thinks they can race with an auto tranny is only talking about drag racing with no hills or turns.

Close this thread, the questions already been answered several times.
If you don’t get it, then that’s not our problem.

Why paddle override on an auto tranny?
BECAUSE RACING and high RPMS.
And, no, flooring the pedal is not the same thing,. Jesus Christ Clueless

@UsedEconobox_2_UsedB. I, the OP, am not clueless nor particularly amused by your attitude.

I have, however, been fascinated to follow how answers to my question posed as an average everyday driver led to the in depth discussion that has ensued.

Not everyone who poses questions on this forum are already knowledgable about cars, mechanical workings, engineering, physics, etc. We ask questions seeking help solving problems. We also ask questions out of curiosity. This particular discussion began because I am curious and had not found a practical explanation, as opposed to a marketing manifesto, that helped me understand. The wide array of answers from varying perspectives is informative, interesting, educational, and downright fun.

You are free to cease reading and replying if the topic is all that distressing to your self-apparent superior sensibilities. I, on the other hand, am delighted to be learning quite a lot about power bands, etc. and thinking through how such engineering and use in race driving translates into practical application for everyday suburban driving.

Marnet
…still reading, still learning…
…and not one bit apologetic for remaining ever curious to keep learning…

9 Likes

Even a minivan can have a shift switch. It is easier to shift with a switch than clunking a shift lever though detents. Few would drive with an aggressive nature with a minivan however it is nice to be in command of the transmission while descending a grade.

2 Likes

I have heard that some of the F-1 transmissions are actually momentarily in two gears at one time during the shift causing there to be no need to momentarily cut the ignition or fuel delivery.
The dog ring that locks the lower gear is being pulled out of engagement by a spring loaded fork but the torque locks the dog ring in place and the spring loaded fork can’t pull it out until the new gear engages and unloads it.

Some dog ring transmissions used in drag racing have ramped dogs that kick the lower gear out as soon as the higher gear engages. If you have ever seen the crank dogs on the harmonic balancer of a hand cranked farm tractor engine that are designed to kick the hand crank out as soon as the engine starts, you get the idea.
This gives you zero power interruption shifts.
On this kind of transmission, you can’t lift the throttle or you will kick the transmission into neutral

Perhaps if you live in some alternate universe where virtually every vehicle with an automatic transmission didn’t have a “1” or “2” position (or some variation of it)

"What kind of a fool thinks they can FLOOR the pedal into a turn to keep RPMs high? "

That’s generally what happens. If your foot is firmly planted on the accelerator (whether it’s practical to do so is irrelevant for the purpose of this argument, I’m referring to the fundamental operation, not the practical application) one of two things will happen. “A” the transmission holds gear until redline or close to it and then upshifts, or “B” The transmission downshifts right away and holds that gear until redline or close to it and up shifts. If you’re looking to accelerate quickly, which will often require high revs, then yes flooring the pedal in automatic-equipped vehicle will produce higher RPMs.

Well, the guy who now holds the record for the Cannonball run did so in automatic, I’m sure there were some hills and turns along the way

I would question why someone would take a car with a conventional automatic racing, given that the autostick/tiprontic/whatever transmissions are simply typical automatics with the same drawbacks as all conventional automatics, they primarily operate off the principle of slippage, which isn’t great from mechanical efficiency standpoint vs. a manual or automated manual or DCT.

“And, no, flooring the pedal is not the same thing,. Jesus Christ Clueless”

If you’re familiar with the operation of an automatic transmission, as I described above, you should know that flooring the accelerator will usually invoke a kickdown/downshift which will do what class? Increase the engine speed.

I think there may be a miscommunication here. I’m simply talking about the basic concepts of operation. You seen to be talking about the practical use. Those are two different things.

2 Likes

I would not assume that anyone else agrees with you…

3 Likes

Insightful is right. Don’t assume everybody agrees with you. There are productive ways to disagree with others and those include accepting that others may disagree with YOU.

2 Likes

Used - you need to take a break and stop the name calling and profanity. It does not help your cause .

9 Likes

+1 to Volvo’s post.

5 Likes

+2, no need for any of that.

4 Likes

Nurburgring

Camaro ZL1
Set a lap under 8 minutes WITH an automatic transmission, a conventional 10 speed one, not a DSG

Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Set a new lap record for a 4 door WITH and automatic transmission, also not a DSG

So there’s that.

1 Like

Sigh, ah, to dream. :relieved:

1 Like

You assume too much.

So you’re telling me, that the millions of people around the world (including myself) who daily drive cars with manuals have gotten it wrong?

Please reread my previous response, I literally said [quote=“FoDaddy, post:59, topic:97575”]
I don’t dispute that most racecars use manual-controlled gearboxes. I do dispute the other remarks you’ve made.
[/quote]

just so were are clear, those remarks include the following

Manuals aren’t just for "sport driving, and furthermore, racing is not necessarily the same as driving in a sporting manner. For example If I were racing someone, I’d disregard driving laws (passing only on the left for example). If I’m driving in a sporting manner, I’m still going to obey most traffic laws.

Again this is not true. It varies from engine to engine. Comparatively few engines generate peak HP at redline, some do, but most don’t I cited several examples of this.

This is blanket statement, The GX class in Rolex Sports Car series GX class for example, the cars are diesels, they don’t rev to 6000 RPM.

Another blanket statement, there are situations where an automatic transmission will shift well north of 3000 RPM on a commute to work, situations like accelerating onto an on-ramp, or passing another car on a two lane road.

Many people, Dorsey Schroeder, Robby Gordon, Parnelli Jones, Scott Pruett, Tommy Kendall, Brad Keslowski, Bobby Rahal, Geoff Brabham, and Steve Saleen to name a few.

…anyway, I’m going to stop rehashing your objectively wrong statements in this response, you can read the others in previous responses if you want to.

Funny you should bring the the argument of facts I’ve responded to your claims with factual information, I even gave examples of how some your various claims, are not accurate because they are often stated as sweeping generalities.

I’m not the one who was apparently unaware of the successful and widespread racing pedigree of the Mustang. You’re also the one who insists that any engine makes it’s maximum power at redline. Which is rarely true. I’m not sure you have the proverbial high ground in this argument.

There you go again, making blanket statement. And guess what’s going to happen now. I’m going to prove you incorrect again. If you look here

You can see the Cobra Jet drag car, it’s not street legal, and is only intended for use on a racetrack, it’s a race car. And guess what kind of transmission it has? So fundamentally speaking, 100% of race cars do not have manual transmissions.

Given that their average speed was nearly 100 MPH and top speeds exceeded 150 MPH, I would call it “sport” driving.

No need for name calling. It doesn’t increase the effectiveness of your argument.

1 Like

Racing is a game played with rules. Those rules usually determine what kind of equipment is legal. NASCAR requires 4-speed H-pattern shift manual transmissions with a foot operated clutch. High gear must be direct 1:1 drive and the third gear must have at least a 1.38:1 reduction on tracks under 1.25 miles. If they catch you with a 1.16:1 third gear, you’ll get treated a lot like a NFL quarterback who gets caught playing with an underinflated football.
In KART racing, you can’t even have a transmission, only a centrifugal clutch with a 5000 rpm maximum stall speed.
F-1 and Indycar have their own transmission rules and limitations.

Anything can be raced, even goofy stuff like shopping carts and lawn mowers.

Even radio control yachts can be raced. I’m sailing #25, my wife #14.

That sounds like a highly illegal race to me, or maybe someone brought a car to an airplane race.

It’s definitely illegal. Not in the sense that one can’t drive from NYC to LA, but they way they did it, it’s obvious that they grossly exceeded posted speed limits. In this instance it was a race against time, as the guy and his cohorts in the Benz were attempting to break record for driving from NYC to LA, they had a company that specializes in GPS tracking to track their journey so they would have proof of the accomplishment. I don’t think that they told the company what they were doing though.