I have a problem…
I have never purchased a car that was newer than 10 years old or cost more than $1500. But, I just retired a debt and got a good job. I am having problems finding the right car. Here are the parameters:
- I haul a couple of animals (pets) around and am a beginning beekeeper. I have to have room for a couple of boxes and a medium sized dog.
- I told my self that I would never own a car that did not have room for me get horizontal and sleep. I know, it is weird, but it is a post-Katrina thing due to sleeping several nights sitting upright in my car in a coffee shop parking lot in Baton Rouge. I just need to be able to sleep in my car if I have to. I know, I know. I need therapy. But I still need it. I have a twisted mind.
- 75% of my driving is under 30 miles. I drive less than 2 miles a day - bike or walk to work. So, an electric car was my thought.
- I have to be able to evacuate with a couple of boxes and some animals - so I need to get out of the Gulf Coast at least a couple of hundred miles. So, I thought a hybrid would be good.
- The VOLT is the ugliest car in the world. Why would they put such a good engine idea in a piece of stoopid like the Volt body? I am so miffed that I almost have an activist’s mentality about that mistake. Making us buy ugly for a good design inside. Besides I can’t sleep in it or haul parts of hives.
- Toyota does not sell the PHEV Prius along the Gulf. And none of the dealers are interested in the extra work to special order it. Should I just fly to one of the coasts?
- I have not seen a small pick up that would work and the SUVs with hybrid are usually gas hogs brought back down to reasonable. I loved the Ford Transit but it is either gas engine or EV, not a mixed PHEV. If it was a plug-in hybrid I would jump in one and drive away. I have to have the flexibility to evacuate a long way yet be electric.
Where can I get a small van/truck/car with a flat area in the back that is a PHEV without getting a prototype with no mechanical history? Anyone have a solution? Or am I just another gal with a dream…