What year Subarus had head gasket problems

I have a friend with a 2012 if not newer that needed new head gaskets, 80k miles I believe, the dealership suggested head gaskets for a turbo engine as an upgrade $2k or so if I recall correctly. He was afraid to take the car on a road trip, You will be fine I said, and he was.

@Barkydog
BarkyDog: 4-cly or 6 that blew the gasket

@dagosa
Great point; itā€™s 5/2018 as I write and am researching this issue of HG in order to confidently buy a USED Subaru. Can some one write ~ 2011 thru 2013 modelsā€™ HGs?

When you buy a Subaru, hereā€™s what the temp gauge indicates.

Tester

5 Likes

I did not know you had a sense of humor! :rofl:

1 Like

Kevin, please if your would: is it older Subaruā€™s ?
up to what year do you stop seeing this, if you do?

Hilarious!

@Howerd I left a message for my bud, I will update you when I hear the answer.

OK, his was a 2010 4 cyl, head gaskets replaced in 2016 warranty coverage, 69k miles. His recollection is the problems with head gaskets occurred up to 2013 from dealer speak.

Are there any theories why the Subie engine seems more susceptible to head gasket problems? Isnā€™t the head gasket oriented vertically on the Subie engines, while most engines the head gasket is horizontal or almost horizontal? Might that be the reason? A horizontal head gasket engine, the coolant might be drained down enough when it is turned off so it is not contacting the gasket. With a vertical orientation maybe the coolant is always contacting the head gasket, and that weakens it over time?

Subaru is absolutely confidant they solved the head gasket problems 5 years ago, and has been for 40 years.

1 Like

I guess I am having comprehension problems again. If someone is worried about a certain brand of vehicle having problems why are they even having that on their list of things to look at.

1 Like

Just adding a contribution: my 2008, 4cyl Outback has had a leaky headgasket for the last few weeks, about 130k miles.
Local car shop said it would be 3.5-4k to fix, which kinda sounds like they might be trying to pull a fast one on me based on this thread :confused: (Something to be wary of as a young woman in need of car help.)

Still trying to decide if the car is worth enough to spend that kinda cash on.

That sounds way high. Get another estimate from a shop that knows Subarus, including the dealer. They do this often, you might be surprised by their quote.

Iā€™ve used Yelp with success to find a Subaru shop, just make sure you read the reviews to better judge their validity.

The typical total cost should run about $2500. But get a detailed quote. They may be including other items that are easy to replace with the engine out, such as timing belt, water pump, manual clutch.

Are you sure that their price quote doesnā€™t also include things likeā€¦ maybeā€¦ timing belt replacement and water pump replacement. But, even with those things thrown-in, the quote is waaaay high.

When my '97 Outback needed its head gaskets replaced at ~130k miles, the dealership charged me ~$400 for the work, but it was clear that they and/or the mfr were giving me ā€œgood faithā€ assistance with the repair costs.

Most likely, the real cost would have been ~$1.5k. Of course, that was back in 2003 or 2004, so labor costs have increased since then, butā€¦ $3.5k to $4k? NO!
:astonished:

As was already suggested, the dealership may well charge a lot less than that independent shop.

2011 outback 158k head gasket issues not happy

I can understand someone leasing a new Subaru, they are nice cars with a great all wheel drive system. I can also understand buying them and keeping them for 60,000 miles. I don;t understand buying and keeping them long term.
We get more questions about Subaru head gaskets than all other makes combined.

As a 2007 Forester owner, I have to agree. When bought used, folks thought the head gasket issue had been solved several years before. Not the case. Since 2012 thereā€™s been a completely redesigned engine that MIGHT have solved the head gasket problem. So guess what - now they have oil burning issuesā€¦

I have a 2013 2.5 premium outback bought used a little over a yr ago. Need new headgaskets supposedly and is burning oil too. Quoted 3k by dealerā€¦what to do?? Because i am upset about this.