What would you buy? A new Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic?

The Fit is a great car for city driving but uncomfortable and noisy on the highway. There are quieter and more comfortable vehicles for the money.

The barrier in the frontal crash test is sprung and does move.

Having the barrier sprung is a great improvement on what was a highly deceptive test. It still will not reveal the full advantages of having a more massive car. If safety is a big concern, and you
do not have long-term gas mileage as a big concern, for the money I would recommend buying a used low-mileage 2003 or 2004 Toyota Avalon–a suggestion which has been mentioned here before, tho perhaps not so specific. These things are great, and have 10 airbags. You can go even bigger, but begin to run into losses in gas mileage and reliabillity.

That’s The Problem With These 5-Star Safety Ratings… Some Consumers See That And Believe That A Small Car That Was Given That Rating Is As Safe As A Larger Vehicle With 5-Star Status.

That’s why I recommend sites like informedforlife.com when choosing a safe vehicle. Larger cars aren’t always safer, but usually are safer than smaller cars. As has been pointed out by JTSanders, IIHS has some good information to consider, also.

Another source of information can be your insurance agent. Ask my agent what happened when she was driving her GM SUV with her young daughter onboard and a late model Corolla turned into her path. My agent and her daughter were not hurt, the vehicle sustained fairly minor damage, and was drivable. The little car was totaled and the driver was injured, not a pretty picture. She can relate examples of large cars being safer cars from her many years as an agent.

CSA

When do you plan to purchase and how much does driving the current generation matter to you? The Toyota was redesigned for it’s 11th gen last year so the current design will be around for a while.
Honda’s 10th gen Civic is re-engineered for '16 and will be on sale later this year.

NO.. That's not true. The frontal crash test is hitting an immovable object like a wall. That is NOT the same as hitting a similar size vehicle.
Yes, it is!

I am thinking about getting a Camry. The dealer told me they have a new 2014 Camry in stock. I just need to see the price. The "Mechanic"that was supposed to replace my engine disappeared. I am thinking about trading in my car the way it is and working on getting this shop’s liability insurance, which the mechanic refused to give me. By the way, do any of you know how I can find out which one is this shop’s liability insurance?

By the way, do any of you know how I can find out which one is this shop's liability insurance?

Filing a small claims tort ought to get the insurers on the case!

@meanjoe75fan
+100
I would add that hitting a larger object head on is worse than hitting a barrier,
and hitting a smaller object is safer (for the driver of the larger object).

Have you driven the Camry? Make sure to take a long test drive before you buy; at least 15 minutes. You don’t have to go far, just sit and see if it is comfortable for you.

Scotty Kilmer at scottykilmer.com likes the Toyotas over the Hondas because the Toyotas have far superior transmissions. Check him out. You can ask him your question directly and follow him on youtube on Saturday mornings where he answers all kinds of car questions. He has a blog, too.