'What We Really Need to Make Roads Safer for Everyone'

Heck, Gaia (Mother Earth) tells us to use traffic circles:

Picture%201

;-]

2 Likes

Crop circles = traffic circles? Good one. :grinning:

This kinda place, @bing:

https://www.chamberofcommerce.com/calhoun-city-ms/3772919-simply-charming

Huh, bottoms and tops, and floor covering? I can smell the candles from here.

Small town life in MS. You got a problem with that?

Nope. Ten character minimum.

Forty years ago I delivered to the store on that corner in Calhoun City but I don’t recall the name then. Maybe it hasn’t changed. It was a very quiet town then and likely hasn’t changed much since.Until the early 70s there was a Ford and Dodge dealership there as well as a Harley Davidson dealership. I did business with a wholesale automobile parts distributor there who covered a 200 mile radius that included parts of 5 states. I believe that he owned the world’s largest inventory of those car deodorant crowns when they went out of style. The company’s main warehouse burned and those crowns may have been the fuel that took the building down.

Don’t you imagine that an overpass would cost $millions @bing? Many times the cost of that round parking lot.

post deleted

Yeah I did look at the satellite image, but after taking a wider view I see they are not really main roads but feed to the interstate. So I suppose that makes sense given the relatively light traffic load. It does look nice though. (As long as you see it at night in time and don’t run over it.)

I was referring to the satellite image in RK’s first link above. That’s the version of round a bout that is pretty common in NZ, where there are two main surface roads intersecting. I could usually zip through those at nearly 50 mph.

And here’s an old courthouse square in a somewhat larger and significantly different town. There in Oxford Subarus and Priuses are actually somewhat common. But that old square has become somewhat of a parking lot. But Oxford is the Berkley of the south so what can anyone expect. It was Faulkner’s home for years.

That’s different all right. It looks like the courthouse is part of a grocery store.

I misremembered this story. It must be Chevy Chase Crash Survivor Sues Police

The only survivor of a police chase that left three people dead in March is suing the Montgomery County Police Department.

Richardson was a passenger in a Toyota Echo that was pursued by police, who believed the car had been stolen, in the early morning hours of March 23. Police say that the car hit a tree and burst into flames after it slowed down to negotiate Chevy Chase Circle, near the border separating Montgomery County and the District of Columbia.

exciting video.

It was six years ago. I don’t remember it. I also don’t watch D.C. tv, but it was probably on the Baltimore stations too.