Stop That ! Newer Volvos Do If You Don't

The future is here, now. What do you think about this collision avoidance system ?

Is it worth it ?
Would you want one ?
Will this become required on all cars ?
How much would it add to the vehicle’s cost ?
If you’re one who doesn’t even like ABS, how does this hit you ?

Weigh in (Volvo drivers that have this, too) and voice your opinions.

Link to Detroit News article by David Shepardson/ Detroit News Washington Bureau:
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20110719/AUTO01/107190344/1148/Volvo-crash-warning-system-wins-praise

1. One more “safety” system to fail, and one more excuse for drivers to become lax in their attention to driving.

2. Not worth anything to me.

3. No, I don’t particularly want one.

4. Since vehicle stability programs are now required, why would you doubt something like this will be next?

5. Since stability control is already tied to the braking system in so many cars, it may not cost that much. Another sensor and a bit more processing power. Doesn’t matter, we’ll pay for it.

6. I’m ambivalent about ABS, and you can’t buy a new car without it, so the question seems irrelevent.

Didn’t Mercedes try something similar a few years ago?

This kind of innovation is what made Volvo what it is today. I don’t want it, but for the type of people who want and buy Volvos, this is probably exactly what they are looking for.

In the auto market, there seems to be a pattern:

1. Someone (usually Volvo), invents or implements a new feature.
  2. Other companies adopt the same technology, or something similar that does the same thing.
  3. The new feature starts out as optional on high end models.
  4. The new feature becomes standard on high end models.
  5. The new feature becomes standard on mid grade models.
  6. The new feature becomes mandated safety equipment on all cars.

With this feature, we are at step one. Much new technology developed and adopted by Volvo never makes it to step two. This one might make it to step four, but I don’t think it will go any further than that. Some trucking companies have been using similar technology for a long time, but it hasn’t become mandated for all commercial trucks, has it?

“The future is now. What do you think about this collision avoidance system?”

It would take the fun out of going to a demolition derby.

The Collision Avoidance System might get confused here in MA where 70% of all drivers seem to drive about 10’ from the car in front of them all while doing 80mph+…Not that this wouldn’t be bad…but I in MA…the majority of those drivers would probably visit their mechanic one day after driving with it and have it disabled.

I think we just all need Nerf cars. No more worries about fender-benders or door dings, and the whole car is a reusable crumple zone.

I think we just all need Nerf cars. No more worries about fender-benders or door dings, and the whole car is a reusable crumple zone.

About 15-20 years ago this new car company in upstate NY tried to market such a car. They claimed it was the safest car in the world. I tried to find a link for it…I’ll have to ask my brother-in-law…He’s the one sent me the information years ago.

I’m not surprised that it was praised by the insurance industry. They have a vested interest in seeing it made mandatory.

Personally, I think it’s a nice option for those who want and are willing to pay for it. I’d be against the mandating of it. There are lots of desirable thing sin life, but that does not mean they should all be mandated.