What vehicle can replace a Safari/Astro Van?

Yes you do have to take the seats out and fold the third row in the floor but they fit just fine. I believe you can fit 10 foot boards in it if you go between the seats. My buddy has a 04 4 runner, and that thing is useless for trying to haul anything inside, its shocking how small the inside seems for a seemingly larger vehicle.
The new sienna comes out soon, I have the current body style.

You are right about hauling things in a 4Runner. We have a 2003 4Runner which is about the same as the 2004 4Runner. However, in our case it’s all academic since the car is my wife’s baby and won’t allow it to be used for a truck. Our Uplander minivan is the workhorse. I still think the minivan is one of the most practical designs that ever came out of the auto industry.

Just another though with respect to my earlier suggestion of SUV/trailer. Talking with friend whose band was playing while we were out, and he informed me that they travel with an SUV and enclosed trailer, leave all the gear in the trailer between “gigs” and park it in a member’s heated garage. Dedicated trailers are a lot cheaper than opting for a larger van that would try to accommodate all your needs with one vehicle. The loading and unloading could be avoided for other vehicle use.
PS: would second recommendation of vehicle like 4Runner as mentioned for such a task.

I love our Minivan, it can haul 7-8 people, right now the 3rd row is folded in the floor and second row is out and it is being used as a pickup truck hauling sheets of OSB Plywood and drywall for a remodel we are doing, and it is better for me than a pickup because its raining out lately and its wonderful dry storage on the way home.
Last weekend we were at the local home improvement store loading up a few sheets of drywall,among other things, quickly sliding them into our utilitarian minivan and we stopped for a moment to watch a couple of guys loading the same into thier Quad cab, short bed Silverado, they managed to break a sheet until they decided to fold down the tailgate, then they had to tarp it since it was so wet out. I didn’t offer to help because they looked like they had enough help.
The only downside is with full sheets of plywood ect… in the back its only a two passenger vehicle. However I can always hook up my utility trailer if i needed more passenger space.
On days where I need not haul anything and merely commute my 5 miles to work I have a vehicle that gets 18-25mpg, and has Awd for our winters. If we are going somewhere and don’t need the van we still take our 38mpg civic, but I must admit lately my knee has been bothering me and i don’t feel like shifting many days, so we take the van.