What to do when mechanics can't find a fault over and over

So how many miles are on the car and just how old are the tires.

Your spinning comment comes across a bit as an aged tire in which the rubber has hardened. Tires in this condition can cause the car to wander and spin easily while taking off from a stop sign.

I mention this because years ago I had a set of Kellys on my other Lincoln. Tread was as new. At times simply removing my foot from the brake pedal would allow the tires to spin without even touching the accelerator pedal.

On even a damp (not wet) roadway it was a white knuckle, heart in throat drive. Once on a rainy day in heavy traffic I took my foot off the brake when the light turned green and the car started fishtailing. The guy in the next lane looked at me like WTH???
Ditched the Kellys for a set of Bridgestones and those issues went away.

As for the looseness in the left front, sometimes a ball joint can appear to be loose. Once driven, the car changes its stance even the tiniest little bit and the joint can appear tight in the new position due to the movement of the ball stud in the socket. All just theorizin; ā€¦or wild guessing.

I donā€™t think OPā€™s problem can be figured out via the internet; requires shop test drives followed by an on the rack inspection at all four corners. Provided OP has compared this car to another like it, and found this car has the problem and the other doesnā€™t, no accident damage, the wheel alignment is correct on all four wheels, and the two rears are tracking the two fronts, then the possibilities to start looking for the cause are

• tire problem
  • loose/worn wheel bearings
  • play in tie-rod system
  • play in control arms/ball joints
  • steering rack faulty or needs adjustment
  • faulty brakes

OP: Have you compared this car to one like it on test drives?

28000 miles and the tires are about 4/5000 miles old maybe a little bit more, i swapped all four of the original tires to see if it would eliminated the issue as all the alignment guys had said if itā€™s still pulling it must be tiresā€¦ new tires made no difference.

I decided to try something out as i had the motorway free to myself tonight :slight_smile:
I took it onto a straight/even part and accelerated up to 70mphā€¦ i let go of the steering wheel and it started pulling to the passengers sideā€¦ what i noticed was the longer i allowed the car to pull the quicker the pull became until it got so strong it almost veered off the motorway ( i was in the middle lane)

i took the car back round again to repeat the same thing and again it was doing the same but this time i decided to slam the brakes on mid pull and as soon as i did, it braked to the right( drivers side)

This is my car in a nutshell constantly fighting itself not sure what direction it wants to go sometimesā€¦ or other times there is very little pull left and it just wants to go to the right all the timeā€¦other times it just wants to pull left even when braking it will brake leftā€¦

i havent mate, i got the car delievered to me new with a couple of hundred miles on it for transit, i have driven other toldedoā€™s in the past but not other toledos with a 2017 plate.

Did you get a printout from the alignment?

I had a similar problem that turned out to be a tire that came in a set of Hankook tires that I had installed on my Lincoln town car. I had 2 different alignments done. I put up with the constant pull to the right for over 40k miles and I realized it had to be a tire causing the problem when rotating tires would correct the problem until I rotated again and the pull was back. Finally purchased a new set of Michelin tires and no more problem.

1 Like

Once had a Volvo with an intermittently sticky caliper piston that behaved a bit like you describe. That wonā€™t explain the looseness, but keep it in the back of your mind. As others have suggested, you need a competent mechanic who will take the time to follow through. As itā€™s still on warranty you may want to try your dealership again, then other dealerships. Failing that, work with a competent independent mechanic. To help with getting the dealership to eventually pay for the repairs, be sure that each shop, starting with the dealership, writes a full description of the problems you report into the service ticket along with what what they did and found (or didnā€™t find), and provides you with a copy.