What to do turning left with a solid yellow left turn arrow

Let’s get rid of all traffic signals and just use common sense then.

Why weren’t you paying attention ?

Distracted driving is against the law in most states.

1 Like

When the signal lights malfunction, they just set up four way stop signs. Traffic seems to flow pretty good and what do they cost? Maybe a couple hundred dollars versus $80,000 with the pretty lights.

Agreed. When you are driving and intending to turn left, I would think the two most important priorities are paying attention to what the signal controlling the intersection is doing, and looking for things that could collide with you while turning left.

1 Like

At that point, you have 44 feet to stop. Call it 2 1/2 car lengths. That’s not enough time to try to stop unless you really need to avoid a collision. But why are you still going 30mph while approaching a situation when you might need to yield to other traffic? Any time I need to turn left, I reduce speed for exactly that reason.

4 Likes

It’s a big intersection and the planned place to stop is in the middle, so that’s another 30 or 40 feet and there is enough time to stop. But the driver sees the solid yellow arrow illuminate just before entering. The driver is trained from years of driving in a place that doesn’t have flashing yellow arrows and solid yellow following it, where a yellow arrow only came on after a solid green arrow. So the driver assumes the green arrow is broken and turns left on the solid yellow and does not yield.

I think the Wonderful90s is the driver, he got into an accident and now is trying to justify why he was in the right.

3 Likes

Sometimes, life produces situations that don’t conform to “plans”.
:thinking:

1 Like

The issue is why on earth would they add a flashing yellow arrow and a solid yellow arrow when the EXACT SAME INFORMATION can be obtained by looking at the regular red, yellow and green lights. It creates a hazard for drivers who don’t know what it means or get confused and does not add any benefit. Who in the world doesn’t know that you can make a left on a green?

Having the yellow flash while the light is red is a separate issue that does increase the traffic flow in the intersection.

No. The “planned place to stop” is before you enter the intersection. If you “planned” to stop in the middle of an intersection, you planned badly. If you mean the stopping line is somewhere in the middle of the intersection, you should have said that in the first place.

3 Likes

In most States you’re supposed to enter the intersection before you turn left if you have to yield. That’s how it used to be in all States.

you are supposed to stop before the line in a turning lane. then when traffic allows, you enter the intersection to turn left. otherwise, you could be in the middle of the intersection waiting for the traffic to be clear and the light turns red on you while sitting there.

3 Likes

Here’s an example from the California DMV. Turns - California DMV
“Stop behind the limit line.” That means stop before you enter the intersection. There’s even a picture to show you.

3 Likes

Time to stop feeding the Troll . Snowman has his mind closed to all thoughts but his.

5 Likes

According to that, it would appear that they want you to stop even if there is a green arrow to the left. Surely hardly anyone actually does that?

I doubt it too but if you need to stop, for example if you have a yellow arrow or if you need to yield to traffic that’s already in the intersection, you’re supposed to stop clear of the intersection.

1 Like

I think you may be right,

Maye you need to BAT SINGAL Carolyn that it is time to shut this down.

1 Like

It’s been a while since I took my test in 1965 so I admit I was confused when the blinking yellow was first encountered. But I looked it up to see what it meant. Now I like it.

Isn’t that a lot faster than you should be going knowing you may have to stop so you can yield to oncoming traffic ?

And I’m done feeding the troll, I will just start muting all of his threads.

4 Likes