What to do in a skid

ABS is integrated with stability control now - sometimes it activates even when you’re not braking. This is a good thing if you drive a car that has a well-engineered system. Especially when combined with torque vectoring, it’s pretty crazy how easily a car can corner even on ice. As long as you don’t ask it to violate the laws of physics, that is. You’re still not gonna make it around that icy corner at 50mph. :wink:

On the other hand, it’s a bad thing if you drive a car with a crappy system, like an Escape I drove years ago. If you went around a corner and there was the slightest amount of slip, like from a bit of sand that as a driver you barely even noticed, it would slam on the brakes. Dangerous as hell. I wasn’t sad when that piece of junk went away.

I can not remember the last time the ABS activated on any vehicle I drove.

It frequently activates on me at low speeds on fresh fallen snow at warm temps just under 32 degrees at stop signs. It really isn’t bothersome, just letting you know it is nannying you.

ABS was briefly reuired on new heay trucks in the 70s. It was called the DOT 121 standard and it was a disaster that was quickly abandoned. If it detected slippage from any wheel, it prevented ALL the other brakes from applying. It could also be disabled by some toll booths, Banks, security system and some radar detectors. I went through a toll booth at the Grand Island Bridge on dry roads and not slowing the rig at 60 mph with a .40000 load with the ABS buzzing. Retrofitting as not reuired We had more trailer than needed so we had no trailers with ABS but the system on the tractors would send no air to the trailer if the ABS was deploying.

Don’t you drive a 1991 Ford?

1 Like

I do drive a 1990 F150 as my daily most of the time but the wife had a 2000 Dodge stratus with ABS until it got totaled a few years back plus I have driven a few other cars with ABS.

Right…I have had no time to figure out which way my rear is going, I just know that my front is not pointing to where I want to go. Smooth is the key…but better is to drive smoothly, apply brakes smoothly, and maybe, just maybe stay home in icing conditions?

2 Likes

For SOME people, ice is a REASON to leave home! :smiley:

2 Likes

One of the few positives of the pandemic is that it jumpstarted the ability to work from home when needed for a lot of people. Hopefully that will translate into “no, you don’t have to slip and slide your way into the office in a blizzard anymore.”

1 Like

Well said. Being retired and up here in Maine, I do not “have to” go anywhere much. But since the advent of Zooming (not on the road…but on the screen) I get to go to a lot more night-time activities in the winter months than I would if I had to brave snow, ice and darkness, just for a library talk or a film. Thank goodness for Zoom. I know it helps many who can work from home…but not every one can work from home, so I am appreciative of the hospital workers, the hardware gal, the grocery store folks–thank you!

2 Likes