What roadside assistance are people using in 2015?

For many years, I paid for a AAA membership, but I only got a lot of use from that membership while I owned my problem-plagued Volvo. I think that the last time I used AAA road service was when the battery suddenly failed on my '86 Taurus, and I needed a jump-start.

Fast forward to 2010, when I bought my current Outback. The car came with 3 years of roadside assistance. At about the same time, my car insurance company began including roadside assistance/towing with their policies. When AAA called me to ask why I hadn’t renewed my membership, I told the nice lady that, in view of the fact that I already had two forms of gratis roadside assistance, I certainly didn’t see the need to pay for a third membership. Believe it or not, she agreed with me.

Luckily, I never needed Subaru’s roadside assistance during its 3 year run, and I still haven’t needed to use the coverage from my car insurance company. However, I do keep their phone number in my cell phone’s directory, in the event that I do need it.

With the increasing number of new cars that come with roadside assistance, I think that the membership rolls at AAA and their competitors is probably declining.

That’s why they provide other services. A AAA office near me now has an auto repair shop.

Quoting @oldtimer11

“I have towing on my auto insurance for $10 a year and the only number I need anywhere in the country is on my insurance card. I would never call them to change a tire though. I can change it a lot qoicker than waiting for them.”
Amen.

In addition, I dumped AAA when they started pushing political agendas that I don’t agree with.

@VDCdriver - the reason I had AAA and am trying AutoVantage is not to cover my car. First, it’s new and has the Subaru roadside assistance so both unlikely to break down and I can use the Subaru one - though I don’t know if Subaru will tow me out of my driveway if I get stuck in the snow. But it’s to cover other cars I ride in, like my Sisters 13 yr old car. So more to help me out when I’m not in my car.

That said, I don’t know how many people care or worry about that sort of issue.

“I don’t know how many people care or worry about that sort of issue.”

Years ago, I carried jumper cables, a full tool kit, and cans of oil and trans fluid with me at all times. Yes, the cars that I drove years ago made these precautions a good idea. However, I haven’t had the need for roadside assistance for…probably…about 20 years. Hence, my reliance on the services that are included with my insurance policy and what was included for the first 3 years after purchasing my car.

If I drove older, less-reliable cars, I would probably feel differently.

What roadside assistance are people using in 2015 ? The answer is most likely the ones they were using in 2014.

I thought I’d close the loop on this a bit with a report. I purchased AutoVantage around when I posted last. Today, my uncle’s truck had killed it’s battery requiring a jump start. No one had cables, or wouldn’t risk their car to jump the truck, so I said, let’s try AutoVantage out.

Called them up, gave them my member # and my location, said I needed a jumpstart.

The bad - strong accent of the person on the phone and their “find your location automatically” didn’t work.

The good - they took my details, confirmed the info and got someone dispatched within 30 min. The tow company called me to tell me they would be there in 20 min, and make sure on the location. The company jumped the truck no problem, gave me advice to drive for 20 min to charge up the battery. They used the VIN# and mileage rather than signature and member # which was customary for AAA.

About 20 min after they left, I got an automated call back to see if the service had been provided, and when the tow company showed up. AAA never checked up on the provider like that for me.

All in all, equivalent to AAA roadside assistance I’ve gotten in the past, at a better price.